Why become a member? ×

string height.....again....sorry

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1371314775' post='2112531']
My adjusters go quite low, so I've experimented with height a bit. For me there's an optimum height which works out at about 6.5-9mm from G to E (with Spiro Mittels). Any lower and the notes lose their body, much higher and I can't get the growl that I like. It's surprising how much difference a small change will make.
[/quote]

It depends on the strings and how you use them, before you start considering the way your fingerboard is profiled.

I've got two basses set up pretty much totally differently. There is no direct or deliberate relation between the heights of the strings, they are set up 'appropriately'. They are completely different sets of strings.

New players: Don't strive for any particular string height. This isn't like bass guitar where you can EQ out all the awful fret noise and try to play faster than everybody else by setting up lower. Not that that ever worked out on bass guitar anyway...

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I didn't mean for those heights to be a particular target - what I really meant was that if your adjusters have the range, it's an interesting exercise to identify where "too low" and "too high" are for your own bass (fingerboard relief), strings and technique so that you can find that range in between.