Why become a member? ×

Anyone use an all valve amp with a Barefaced Super 12?

burno70

I posted this in another thread but thought I'd make a new one to gain more responses.

When I bought my super 12 I asked Alex for advise re a new amp. Now, I think I can remember him saying class D's would work best - and that all valve amps would not be suitable for some reason. Although this was about 2 years ago so I could very well be mistaken.

I'd rather not bother Alex directly as we all know he's a busy man and there are plenty of people waiting for his cabs.

So, does anyone use an all valve amp with this cab? Is there any reason not to? I bought an Ashdown Little Bastard the other day and would like to try it with the super 12 - could this harm either cab or head?

Ta..

I can't see it hurting either amp or cab, so long as you use the 4 ohm socket on your LB

However, as you know, the LB puts out 30W (and I know they are lovely big fat valve watts, 'cos I used to own an LB), and the S12 is recommended for 150-1200 watts, so it may simply not have enough poke to work the cab properly.

Yes. They work great with them. I wouldn't say Class D amps work best, I'd say that good amps work best regardless of topology because they'll be less likely to have their deficiencies shown up by the cab. A 30W all-valve amp will work as well with the S12 as with any other cab that size - it'll go pretty loud as long as you don't expect it to stay really clean.