Why become a member? ×

Upgrading a P-bass; but how much is it worth spending?

Grangur

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Well, for those who may be interested, I've moved forward on the project. I got the machine heads changed.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The old head posts were straight up and down. The new ones are small capstans, which is cool.[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I've also bought a Hipshot bridge and Bartolini pups from Kdubb24[color="#5a5a5a"] through the BC forum. [/color][color=#5A5A5A]Then I got to work on the body with the blow lamp. For anyone who's never done it, it's a strange feeling as you see the paint from a bass curl and burst into flames as you heat it and scrape it off.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#5A5A5A] As you can see here it was Cherry red before it was ever black.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#5A5A5A] [/color][/font][/size][color=#5A5A5A][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4] After stripping I then got on with sanding. That was satisfying; rounding the edges more than before. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Then on to the next stage... Primer[/size][/font][/color]

Ok, so the above pics have been over the past few days. Well, the primer went on ok. Then got sanded and re-primed, and sanded, and filled and sanded and primed and sanded.
The last sanding was with 1200 grade paper. That stuff is just like slightly tacky paper. :)

.... and you can also see here the bass body prepared an ready for spraying in the Grangur clinically pristine, purpose-built spray booth.
Smooooothe as a baby's bum and ready for colour.

I found some rough bits, so it's back to Halfords for another can of primer. I' know I'm a perfectionist, but if I don't get it right and leave some lump or dimple it will grate with me.

Colour: blue. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for the interest.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, guys here's the finished thing. Ok, well all apart from some tweaking on the wiring. I still need to sort a problem on the tone control.

As I said, I've changed the bridge and the pups etc. I've also added a push/pull switch on the tone. This switches between 2 capacitors, each rated at 0.47uf a 0.1uf, except it's not quite behaving yet. But for anyone stil linterested, here are the pics:

Well, that's all folks!!!
Many thanks for looking and for all your comments in this thread.

Cheers
Richard

The colour is For Azure Blue. It's a metallic finish. It was finished off with clear lacquer, then sanded with 1200 grit sandpaper and T-Cut to bring up a gloss finish.

The sound is getting there. It's got a bit of a harsh metalic twang to it that I'm not so keen on. I'm looking for more of a low-down growl. So I'm still playing with the elects. I may put all the original elects in again and see what that sounds like with the new bridge. I can't see as the twang comes from the bridge, but its a start point.

I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on that.

Thanks guys.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1370729091' post='2105017']
Not much of my original squier left. Neck swapped out for a mighty mite, wilkinson tuners, CTS pots and new wiring, orange drop cap, Bass Doc pic guard and Wizard Thumper. Was it worth the spend.....absolutely.
[/quote]
Precisely what I did with the Affinity P J I bought. Is now my #1 bass.

• 4 years later...

I see this is an old topic, but I assume it's one that will come up over and again and answers will be helpful to those finding this through a search so... If you have a cheap bass that plays well, is comfortable to you, it is worth spending whatever you can afford to spend. I have known several pro bassists who have completely pimped their sub 100 quid basses with the best tuners, bridges, pots, pickups and strings - spending quite a lot, hundreds upon hundreds in some cases, and come out with basses they like more than any boutique bass for far less money. I have done it myself although never with that cheap of a bass, but I'm about to start a project with a cheap p-bass that plays like a dream.  I will spend well into the hundreds to fit it with the very finest of everything because it plays well enough to deserve it. It is a one in a thousand happenstance where exactly the right pieces of wood combined all in one super-cheap factory bass - it happens.  I was looking around to see what hardware others had used when I came across this thread. You may or may not ever recoup your investment - If someone else plays it and realizes it's value, you will probably do alright, but you will never be able to sell it online.

Edited by Budda Long