• advertisement_alt

Frederic Effects Green Russian Big Muff Inbound

sk8

Okay so I've owned a few fuzzes in my time
EHX NYC Reissue, LBM and BBM
W&C PPB and Tri Pie
DHA Fuzzy Feeling
Iron Ether Oxide

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten!

I've never owned any variety of Russian big muff so have nothing to compare on that front. I did an A/B against my W&C Tri pie.
The fredirc is well built and light but feels solid. It definitely lower gain than the Tri pie (which I'm led to believe is a character of the green Russian fuzzes) and to my ears is darker. It surprised me that I had to max the sustain knob to get a really nice sounding fuzz that I liked. I don't tend to max knobs!
I use the Tri pie as an OD and Fuzz. For OD I have the fuzz knob at minimum and the tone centred, for fuzz I have it at about one o clock. To replicate this on the frederic had the sustain knob at nine o'clock and then maxed. I could make the Tri sound similar by turning the tone knob right down.

The frederic wasn't as harsh or buzzy as the Tri, maybe a touch smoother to my ears and definitely darker. I'm very pleased with my purchase and look forward to using it in anger.