Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Scrambler Clone - now with samples

paul_5

Dunno, w It's got a horrible, nasty, spluttery/gatey/spitty sort of sound to it - you can see why they put a blend on it! ;)
Mine's mounted in the same box as my Colorsound Bass Fuzz clone so I can switch between dirty sounds really easily.

I've been wanting to build a clone of this too, even got hold of 2N5306 / BC169B's to do so.

Did you build it on vero or PCB? any mods for bass?

The Coloursound BF is a beast, one of my favourites.

Edited by NoirBass

Built it on veroboard. It's [i]really, really[/i] vicious when you push it - probably unusable on bass without the blend control, although if you turn the 'texture' knob down it gets really mellow. As for mods then the obvious place to start would be to alter the input cap to let more bass through to the drive stages... I'd start by whacking that up to .1µf and seeing what that sounds like. :unsure:

Edited by paul_5

replaced the input cap (10nf) to 0.1µf and it's made chuff all difference. I think I'll have a closer look at the schem tonight. Sounds AWESOME on guitar though...

Looked at it in a bit more detail but can't see where the low end is being lost. Maybe there's just too much octave/filth in there...

Edited by paul_5

Samples - [url="https://soundcloud.com/paul_5/sets/amp-eg-scrambler-clone-samples"]https://soundcloud.c...r-clone-samples[/url]

It's not [i]quite[/i] as dirty as it should be as I used a 2n3904 instead of the 2n5088 transistor as Q2, but it's still pretty extreme! :o

Edited by paul_5