Why become a member? ×

60% off Ampeg SVX amplitube

a heads-up: IKmultimedia's Ampeg SVX amplitube is on a 60% off discount deal at the moment

[url="http://www.ikmultimedia.com/summerstrummer2"]http://www.ikmultime...summerstrummer2[/url]

[url="http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ampegsvx/"]http://www.ikmultime...ducts/ampegsvx/[/url]

edit: I just bought it. Worked out at £34.12 all-in paying by paypal including the £££ => €€€ conversion

Edited by Junkyard Rocket

Right.....time for spot the technophobe !! I don't understand, full stop, how do these things work, what are they trying to achieve, is the idea that I plug my bass into a laptop, output the laptop into a power amp and then on to a "lightweight" Ampeg 8x10 cab if that the idea doesn't the weight of the 8x10 cab somewhat outweigh (if you'll pardon the pun) the saving of not carrying the genuine head to the gig?

Is this just a recording tool, in which case I can understand its usage?

Spare a dime for the technophobe guv!!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1370542736' post='2102497']
Right.....time for spot the technophobe !! I don't understand, full stop, how do these things work, what are they trying to achieve, is the idea that I plug my bass into a laptop, output the laptop into a power amp and then on to a "lightweight" Ampeg 8x10 cab if that the idea doesn't the weight of the 8x10 cab somewhat outweigh (if you'll pardon the pun) the saving of not carrying the genuine head to the gig?

Is this just a recording tool, in which case I can understand its usage?

Spare a dime for the technophobe guv!!
[/quote]

Your ten cents, good sir.

It is indeed a digital recording plug-in for the likes of ProTools or Logic Pro (computer-based music recording/mixing software). Once your bassline is digitally recorded, it can be sent to this adjustable Ampeg emulator. It's one of many amp emulator plug-ins around - they don't affect your original recording, they just add emulation effects in the mix.

Having said that, there's nothing to stop you using it as an in-line effect on stage, via a laptop or iPad, or iPad-hybrid stomp box. It means you can emulate the Ampeg sound (amp and speakers) through a lesser rig. Quite handy if you don't want to carry around an 8x10 Ampeg cabinet that feels like it's full of bricks...

Hope this helps,

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1370554020' post='2102781']
Your ten cents, good sir.

It is indeed a digital recording plug-in for the likes of ProTools or Logic Pro (computer-based music recording/mixing software). Once your bassline is digitally recorded, it can be sent to this adjustable Ampeg emulator. It's one of many amp emulator plug-ins around - they don't affect your original recording, they just add emulation effects in the mix.

Having said that, there's nothing to stop you using it as an in-line effect on stage, via a laptop or iPad, or iPad-hybrid stomp box. It means you can emulate the Ampeg sound (amp and speakers) through a lesser rig. Quite handy if you don't want to carry around an 8x10 Ampeg cabinet that feels like it's full of bricks...

Hope this helps,

BB
[/quote]
Wow, thank you, I like to sound of it even more now.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1370542349' post='2102489']
Still more expensive than a Behringer BDI-21 though... :P
[/quote]
It does a different job to a BDI-21. I have one of those already.

I've found that the IK ampeg software running in stand-alone mode is perfect for headphone practice playing along with tracks on itunes. It seems to be much more flexible in terms of the sounds available than the equivalent amplitube ampeg amps on the iPad with iRig & with much better latency.

I'm using a 2008 macbook (the first unibody aluminum one) with Guitar Rig IO USB audio hardware & have cubase (studio 4). I've not tried it with cubase yet, but it will be interesting to set it up so I can track the bass dry with no processing & then add the amp being able to tweak the settings whilst mixing.