Why become a member? ×

Shure SM57 Mic.

gypsyjazzer

SM57's have an upper mid lift to give clarity to vocals - and to flatter snares and guitar cabs. It's also not particularly sensitive (being a dynamic) so gain levels will be higher (and therefore the noise floor will be higher). You could try moving it close to the body/f holes to lift the low end (using the proximity effect), but TBH even a budget condenser or back electret will give you a more natural tone. I think with some experimenting with positioning you could get a useable sound. EQ might help too.

I tried using an SM57 last week during a rehearsal as I am temporarily without a pickup, and I would not recommend it.
Low gain level before feedback, even with a lot of tinkering to try and get it under control. Poor tone quality, and just not loud enough.
I unplugged it after one song, switched to a Rode NT5 and had far better results!

I wouldn't attempt to use one as it's just not suitable. As mentioned above a condenser mic, preferably small diaphragm would be the best choice. I use a comparatively cheap Shure PG 81 occasionally, but would upgrade to the SM 81 if one came along at the right price. The Rode NT 5 is also a good choice, many classical guitarists use these in matched pairs for home recording.