Why become a member? ×

The Bucket

Roger2611

One of the bands I play in has decided (for reasons totally lost on me!) to cover The Bucket by Kings of Leon, the bass is rather indistinct in the mix but to my ear the bass is playing a high D through the entire verse and only ever changes for the chorus, I have had a look at the online tab which reckons it is a D A G riff throughout the verse but I think it is a guitar playing that part...anyway listened to it far more times (4 to be precise) than the song deserves

What do you think bass players of the world?

Oh yeah, sorry for subjecting you to this

Sorry

Sorry

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1369770393' post='2092634']
One of the bands I play in has decided (for reasons totally lost on me!) to cover The Bucket by Kings of Leon, the bass is rather indistinct in the mix but to my ear the bass is playing a high D through the entire verse and only ever changes for the chorus, I have had a look at the online tab which reckons it is a D A G riff throughout the verse but I think it is a guitar playing that part...anyway listened to it far more times (4 to be precise) than the song deserves

What do you think bass players of the world?

Oh yeah, sorry for subjecting you to this

Sorry

Sorry
[/quote]

You are right , but you could play it a number of ways . I would play it on the low D , i.e 5th fret on the A string , but you could play a chord of 1 -5-1 ( octave ) to fatten the sound up a bit , or just play the 5th ( 7th fret D string ) and octave D ( 7th fret Gstring ) as a double stop , and that will work . A lot depends on how faithful you want to be to the original . You could also play the open D string and the octave at the 7th fret on the G string . You could also try any combination of the above , depending on the overall arrangement . Try experimenting and see what works best .

Just had a listen with headphones on . You are right , it is high(er) D he plays , probably at the 12th fret on the D string , then on the later verses he goes to the lower D on the A string .

Edited by Dingus