Why become a member? ×

Magnetic Fields

I got CS Guitars as one of my Fav on YouTube and Facebook, i like how they talk on there videos
Any way, they posted this and i asked about the Bridge Pickup being so Near the Bridge
With the Magnetic Field

Just wonder if any one can express how much Magnetic Field and how each part effects each other
Even Pickups should upset each others fields when been Linked in (ie if one end is hanging then its dead)
And what effect would the LUMP or Metal of a Bridge have, i guess the Copper Cables under is minimal

Sorry, Angel, sorry so...

[i]You are only coming through in waves
Your lips move
But I can't hear what you're saying[/i]

...Could you re-phrase and inject a bit of coherence, please..? I didn't quite catch the gist (It might be me, though... :blush: )
No malice intended; respect.

Ah, yes, I can see clearly now (well, almost...).

Anything and everything will affect the magnetic field(s), and this, mutually. Approach a p/up (on or off the guitar...) too close to a crt colour screen, and the display will become psychedelically modified by the field(s) of the p/ups. Similarly, any field generated locally will be picked up (hence the name: pick-up..?), and may cause audible interference. Any static magnetic mass in the vicinity will alter the field(s), but only statically (no signal will be generated...).
Most bridges, I think, are made of non-magnetic metals or alloys (zamac-type stuff..?). If there was a magnetic content, it will only affect the field's 'shape', not the functioning, and I would imagine the phonic content to be so close to zero as to be negligible.
Is there a specific reason for the question, or simple (healthy...) curiosity..?

Could the bridge vibrate very slightly and disturb the magnetic field and cause pickup interference?

Tenuous conjecture though and even if so I'd expect the effect to be tiny, probably inaudible and bordering on 'golden ears' territory.

The important thing is whether the bass sounds good or not.

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1369577067' post='2090529']
what about the Springs on a Strat, for, Moving Metal Part in line with the Pickup Field...[/quote]

Yes, that would explain the southern 'twang' these guitars are renowned for...

No, really, the magnetic interactions in play here are really tiny. Moving the p/up a couple of mms closer or further has an audible effect, but the distance from the springs (and tuning pegs, if you want to go that far...) precludes any humanly noticeable effect, I would suggest.

Magnetism is a black art.

I think that the field of a permanent magnet follows the inverse cube law, that is to say, it gets weaker very quickly indeed with distance. There is scientific controvesy wrt this though with some arguing that it it follows the inverse square law. It would still get weaker very quickly with distance.