Why become a member? ×

Old Music Mag Interviews - SO much better than nowadays

xilddx

I absolutely agree with the OP here. Has anyone here heard of the (ex) Bass Player writer Thomas Wictor? He wrote that great book "In Cold Sweat - Interviews With Really Scary Musicians" (his legendary interview with Frank Zappa bassist Scott Thunes takes up nearly half the book!)
Well he was writing for Bass Player at, what anyone who remembers how that mag used to be would call it, it's creative peak. The turn of events that finally led to it becoming the bland, thin paged ad-fest that it is today is explained in this epic (and amazingly troll-free) thread he started on talkbass - the best thread I have ever read on a bass forum bar none (no offence intended to Basschatters or anyone anywhere else in the bass world whatsoever)
The said downturn in the quality of Bassplayer which he was so passionate about actually affected his physical health in the end but this thread is brimming with great interviews and stories that we're canned by the new editor at the time due to them being 'not relevant' anymore.
I really wish we had the Bass Player of old, I'd still be buying it if it was like it used to be (and don't even get me started on our good old 'Bassist'!)
Check it out...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/interviewing-bassist-stories-866617/

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1368934756' post='2083184']
I absolutely agree with the OP here. Has anyone here heard of the (ex) Bass Player writer Thomas Wictor? He wrote that great book "In Cold Sweat - Interviews With Really Scary Musicians" (his legendary interview with Frank Zappa bassist Scott Thunes takes up nearly half the book!)
Well he was writing for Bass Player at, what anyone who remembers how that mag used to be would call it, it's creative peak. The turn of events that finally led to it becoming the bland, thin paged ad-fest that it is today is explained in this epic (and amazingly troll-free) thread he started on talkbass - the best thread I have ever read on a bass forum bar none (no offence intended to Basschatters or anyone anywhere else in the bass world whatsoever)
The said downturn in the quality of Bassplayer which he was so passionate about actually affected his physical health in the end but this thread is brimming with great interviews and stories that we're canned by the new editor at the time due to them being 'not relevant' anymore.
I really wish we had the Bass Player of old, I'd still be buying it if it was like it used to be (and don't even get me started on our good old 'Bassist'!)
Check it out...

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/interviewing-bassist-stories-866617/"]http://www.talkbass....stories-866617/[/url]
[/quote]

Mate, that's an extraordinary thread on TB! Thank you SO MUCH ofr posting the link!

And yeah, I have the Wictor book, Scott Thunes is my favourite bassist and that interview was wonderful to read.

Thanks again :)