Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz

Kaiu

Hi,

I have a Fender Jazz, which I love the look of and love the playability. However it just doesnt cut through nearly as well as my Musicman Sterling or my Ibanez ATK-500 (they are both active).

I was think of replacing the bridge pickup in the Jazz or possibly putting active electronics in it. My initial thought was just to remove all the electronics + pickup from the Ibanez and install it into the Jazz, however that would be ruining a perfectly good Ibanez!

I havn't seen or heard of anyone installing a Musicman style pickup into a Jazz. Would that be my best option or are there replacement Jazz pickups that can emulate that sound?

Thanks!

Ed

[quote name='King Tut' post='210611' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:22 PM']How about an East J Retro, with the mids boosted. What i like is the passive bypass - ideal if you're gigging and worry about flat batteries.[/quote]

Thanks for the info! Looks very promising. In fact the switch looks like it might come in handy. Does anyone know how this would compare to the tone of a Musicman Stingray/Sterling with the eq on?

Still open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

[quote name='Machines' post='210645' date='Jun 1 2008, 06:04 PM']A Jazz will never sound like a Stingray - it's the pickups that give each their signature sound. A J-Retro won't make it sound like a different bass, it will however enhance how it already sounds.[/quote]

Thanks. I love the sound of the Jazz when we play acoustic however it fails to cut through full band. Whereas the Sterling cuts through, even though I don't like the tone quite as much as the jazz.

I don't have a problem hearing it as I use in-ears, it's FOH i'm concerned about.

Ok well, the J retro might help me eq it better to help cut through, other than that there's always the option of replacing pickups if there is enough room.