Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Jazz MIJ vs MIM

Ant_On_Bass

So I'm looking to buy myself a Geddy Lee jazz in the very near future and noticed that they get constructed in Mexico these days.

I was just wondering if anyone has played or owned both the MIJ and MIM and whether there is any noticeable differences in how they feel/sound, if the build quality is the same? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :-)

Having owned a MIJ Geddy, which was an impeccably built bass, I wondered how MIM basses would compare. From what I hear they are just as good as the Japanese ones. I know that the Mexican factory can produce some lovely instruments having owned a MIM custom shop designed 'Classic Player' Stratocaster. I've also heard great things about the 'Road Worn' basses too.

One thing I have noticed, is that they no longer use the 'Fender Original pickups' and have gone with the 'American Vintage' pickups instead. Having said that the Mexican Vintage Alnico pickups they have in the 'Road Worn' Jazzes are great pickups. They should have fitted them in the Geddy. I have a set fitted in my bass and they sound excellent.

Edited by gjones