Why become a member? ×

What rosin do you use?

MandShef

Just interested. I have only ever tried Hidersine and Pops. Having decided that Hidersine was rubbish, I've stayed loyal to Pops ever since. However, I borrowed a fellow bassists Nymans at our last orchestra rehearsal, and really like it - grittier/more powdery than the sticky Pops. I'm trying to resist ordering a pot, as I've still got plenty of mine left at the mo, but it has intrigued me as to whether it merits a change ...

Now I started with Nymans which I cant get to work at all, my Gedo bass came with a free pot of pops and now I am Gary Karr! OK maybe not quite as good but at least I can actually get a sound from the strings now, I may of had a bad pot as some folk say the mail order stuff can be old and past its best?

Hi! - Below 24°C (75°F) I use Pops, if it gets warmer I use Nyman. Sometimes I try other brands, at the moment Petz Premium, it's not bad to bow but very dusty, so if you like a white bass... Also I have at the moment Liebenzeller (very expensive) Gold VI H - maybe a good rosin for cello... If you talk about "Oak" don't mistake the Gregorian Oak Rosin (seems to be excellent as far I have heard) for Royal Oak Rosin, this is really bad. - Best, Thomas

Edited by Basstroker

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1367509892' post='2066213']
Kolstien's soft and I like it. Pops is ok, but too sticky for me. A lot of guys on Talkbass use Oak?
[/quote]
Yes, I think it's the stickiness I'm trying to get away from. I've heard a lot of people recommend Kolstien - it's more expensive, but then I guess you get what you pay for? Never heard of Oak ...

[quote name='Basstroker' timestamp='1367512768' post='2066274']
Hi! - Below 24°C (75°F) I use Pops, if it gets warmer I use Nyman. Sometimes I try other brands, at the moment Petz Premium, it's not bad to bow but very dusty, so if you like a white bass... Also I have at the momemt Liebenzeller (very expensive) Gold VI H - maybe a good rosin for cello... If you talk about "Oak" don't mistake the Gregorian Oak Rosin (seems to be excellent as far I have heard) for Royal Oak Rosin, this is really bad. - Best, Thomas
[/quote]
So many brands. Shame there isn't a place you can get samples from!!

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1367512997' post='2066278']
So many brands. Shame there isn't a place you can get samples from!!
[/quote]

i do not doubt somone Intelligent and bright (not me organisational skills of a hand grenade) might start up a rosin trials thread similar to the Innovations string thread.

also Nymans Bas rosin, it sticks and came recommended by my tute so no arguments, although in the future i might try others.

Edited by Owencf

Hi! - Yes, many brands. Here is a list of bass rosins available in Germany: [url="http://geba-online.de/KatalogSucheEinfach.php?freieSuche2=&action=Bsuche&katalog_db=6&notshowsearchfields=true"]http://geba-online.d...archfields=true[/url] - Best, Thomas

Edited by Basstroker

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1367514590' post='2066318']
i do not doubt somone Intelligent and bright (not me organisational skills of a hand grenade) might start up a rosin trials thread similar to the Innovations string thread.
[/quote]

Owen, that's a marvellous idea! I'd love to try Nymans, Carlsson & the Kolstein, but I don't want to have to fork out for full-size pots just to see what they're like. Maybe someone who's organised & knows what they're doing will see this and start something up, 'cos I've Googled and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that offers a try before you buy option.

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1367524209' post='2066503']
course not, that would be helpful, although im wondering what the impact on the bow would be having multiple types of rosin on it..
[/quote]
You'd have to play it out before swapping otherwise it could get messy ..

Ive tried Nymanns, Petz soft and Pops. Pops has been my favorite so far until i lost it at my last concert. It definitely always helped give a big warm sound and really helped when playing pianissimo. I ordered some Kolstein all weather but it never arrived so for the last three weeks ive been rosining up once a week at rehearsals with the other players nymanns and i must say using such a little amount of rosin has really helped my playing in terms of actually getting the bow to do all the work and really learning how to get the most from the bow. Im still going to order some more kolstein and see how it goes down. But Pops has defiantly been the best so far for me.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1367577462' post='2067095']
for the last three weeks ive been rosining up once a week at rehearsals with the other players nymanns and i must say using such a little amount of rosin has really helped my playing in terms of actually getting the bow to do all the work and really learning how to get the most from the bow.
[/quote]
Funnily enough I have also been experimenting with using far less rosin after my tutor had the radical suggestion that I only put rosin on the bow when it needs it!!! Previously I'd been in the habit of putting rosin on the bow every time I played, but now I'm trying to feel for when it needs it rather than just putting it on automatically. It seems less is more when it comes to rosin :)

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1367587727' post='2067296']
Funnily enough I have also been experimenting with using far less rosin after my tutor had the radical suggestion that I only put rosin on the bow when it needs it!!! Previously I'd been in the habit of putting rosin on the bow every time I played, but now I'm trying to feel for when it needs it rather than just putting it on automatically. It seems less is more when it comes to rosin :)
[/quote]

+1 I found that playing all the rosin off helped a lot.

As for pops being sticky, Honest, i don;t live in an igloo, but my new, second pot is always rock hard and only ever produces dust. Two out of two duff?

Love owencf's try-out idea. Mind you what customs would make of small amounts of resiny stuff in envelopes, I don't like to think. :D

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1367577462' post='2067095']
... for the last three weeks ive been rosining up once a week at rehearsals with the other players nymanns and i must say using such a little amount of rosin has really helped my playing in terms of actually getting the bow to do all the work and really learning how to get the most from the bow.
[/quote]

+1 ...'less' is often 'more' with some rosins. I think its really a case of settling in with a brand and getting used to it. Took me a good while to figure out whether a lack of bite on the string was to do with too much or too little bow tension, application of the weight of the arm, speed of the bow, the directional pull on the string, angle of the hairs ... or whether more rosin needs applying. When I first started bowing I used to cake it on thinking that rosin was like some magic potion ...now I use it perhaps every three /four days / once a week ...and I practice a lot !

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1367594908' post='2067404']
I don't think the fuzz would mind if it was in the original containers
Although on that thought tiny containers packed with a block of resiny stuff does sound a little suspect
[/quote]

Small 'Can-a-Bass' Resin? ;)