Why become a member? ×

the Squire Vintage Modified Precision!

charliethornton

Hey all,

Got a few gigs coming up and I feel it's time a treat myself... I've had a V/M Jazz in the past but I've got an American Deluxe now... So after several jazz's I thought I should get a p... but money being short and all I wanted to ask your opinions on the Squire Vintage Modified and how it compares to the real deal?

I had the Squier VM Amber P-bass and it was a very good bass. Naturally, the hardware (tuners, bridge etc), finish and the feel of the neck didn't match my 2009 American Standard P or the MIM Classic 50s P-bass I had, but there are several hundred pounds between each of them.

Soundwise, the American sounded more refined and a bit more full-bodied, which I attribute to the higher grade materials and pickups, but the VM is still very much a P-bass. With roundwound strings, you can get a grindy aggressive sound, especially when playing with a pick and with flatwounds, you get the vintage-sounding thump, especially with the tone rolled off a little and with the strings muted a little. I put a set of the James Jamerson LaBella Deep Talkin' flats on it and the neck handled it admirably.

I felt no desire to modify the VM bass from stock - it worked and looked and sounded great. Disregarding the price, would I prefer it over the American Standard? No, but when you weigh up the prices, it'll certainly get you most of the sound/feel of a P-bass for a fraction of the price.

The white/rosewood one looks lovely too - you already know what the quality of them are like from your VM Jazz and if you liked that, I reckon you'll be pleased with the VM Precision.

Edited by Green Alsatian

I'd like one too, its the only one of the VM pack I have never owned, the others have ALL been very good basses indeed...love the Amber/Maple onesword of warning though, if they make the body from the same wood as the body of my old VMJ it could be as heavy as the QE2's rear anchor

Edited by iconic