Why become a member? ×

New easy fit wheeled cradle "WheelBass"

BerryTheBass

Today is launch day of new website which is (hopefully) to sell my new handmade WheelBasses.
See here for more info - [url="http://wheelbass.co.uk"]www.wheelbass.co.uk[/url]

All started when I drove past a lorry, noticed it's mudguards and thought - hang on a minute...

Although there are probably other obsessive geeks out there like me, possessed of a large set of tools
and a perverse sense of enjoyment/satisfaction from making something like this, I figured
there are probably some people out there who'd appreciate to not have to get messy with all the tools and fiddling around.

So, doing small batch production of the WheelBass for such folk.

Edited by BerryTheBass

Owencf - Yep. Went through many stages of R&D, but opted for these wheels for compactness. They are still very smooth ride though.
The 'elastic' rubber of the tyres is a bit like the rubber they use in power balls (remember them?)
Feels very hard when you try and press a finger into em, but when there's the whole weight of a bass on top of em, they absorb small shocks inbcredibly well, so when rolling along a pavement for instance, hardly notice the pavement gaps and cracks at all.

Hi andy159

Thanks for your post. Nice thinking regarding the soft spacer, but I did do that with my very first 'dolly' wheels - the dolly comprised two fixed castor wheels mounted to a small rectangular rubber plate, in turn fixed to the bass case by velcro.
It had a snag when I added soft cushioning: The benefits of added cushioning are offset by the disadvantage of introducing an instability, allowing the instrument to move with 'a mind of it's own', so to speak, instead of being securely held by the wheeled platform.

Not to worry though, because there's actually ample cushioning with the WheelBass as it is currently spec'd.
The foam liner strips inside the cradle are 10mm thick, and there's also the large area of the cradle itself dissipating any shocks over a large area, instead of delivering the impact directly to the area of the bass that sits above the castor wheels (which had been an issue with the small 'dolly' I used for a while).

If you have a spare minute, everything technical about the WheelBass is covered on the website (link above).

If I have missed any information, just ask.

Regards

Steve