Why become a member? ×

Latin Groove (Salsa) help

wildman

Hey Gringo!

Check this book out, i have it and use it and its brilliant:

[url="http://www.amazon.ca/Funkifying-Clave-Afro-Cuban-Grooves-Drums/dp/0769220207"]http://www.amazon.ca/Funkifying-Clave-Afro...s/dp/0769220207[/url]

Literally the best bass book i own. The tracks in it are tough but very very rewarding and musical.

G

ps - last month BGM had some cool advice from Dave Marks in it too.

pps - the cab is awesome :)

One of the biggest challenges with Latin, and particularly Cuban music, is retraining your ear to hear the important beat in a new place. In Western music, we usually count [b]one[/b] as the "important" beat where we place our bass note eg [b]1[/b]234, [b]1[/b]234, etc

However, in Latin music the emphasis is on beat four so the bass is often changing chords a quarter note before the harmony [b]4[/b]123[b]4[/b]123 which can feel really weird when you first do it, especially as beat four is invariably tied over the barline so there's no real "one" being signposted. It took me quite a while of working with Latin bands to get comfortable with the concept but, like most things, eventually it does become comfortable.

As for actual beat placement, it varies depending on who you listen to. A lot of electric players do lean back a little, but the more traditional acoustic players tend to be more on the beat (possibly because of the slightly slower attack). You do occasionally hear people play a little more ahead, but because the feel is quite "anticipated" by nature of the bass landing effectively a beat early compared to where we'd hear it in Western music, it can sound a bit too rushed and tense.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Alun

+1

For me it has been difficult to get used to the idea of not having the emphasis on the 1.... or, to put it another way, to count the 1 but not play it. My drummer friend is very much into a lot of those different latin rythms, and so I had to learn some as well. Very interesting and facinating. It feels as if the whole rythm is rushing forward with unstoppable momentum... far from the laid-back soul style that I've also tried (and probably failed) to learn.

Great stuff guys, just tried it and it worked a treat, its difficult to keep it going but at last I have the lilting feel thats eluded me !

Garry, will be getting that book and glad you like the cab. Next time I'm in Edinburgh I'll give you a shout (and we'll keep away from the men in suits...). Probably be end July now at this rate, but you never know.

Thanks a million again !

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='22317' date='Jun 23 2007, 01:00 PM']Hey Gringo!

Check this book out, i have it and use it and its brilliant:

[url="http://www.amazon.ca/Funkifying-Clave-Afro-Cuban-Grooves-Drums/dp/0769220207"]http://www.amazon.ca/Funkifying-Clave-Afro...s/dp/0769220207[/url]

Literally the best bass book i own. The tracks in it are tough but very very rewarding and musical.

G

ps - last month BGM had some cool advice from Dave Marks in it too.

pps - the cab is awesome :)[/quote]

Book ordered - cheaper actually from Amazon UK, carrige from Canada was a killer. Thanks Man !!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also suggest listening to loads of latin and salsa music; whatever you listen to lots of seems to bleed into things you play (hence an unfortunate habit I have of adding inappropriate reggae basslines), so get yourself some Tito Puente

or some ray barretto

... and I heartily recommend growing a 'tasche like the bassist in that video. It won't help your latin-styles, but DAMN! How can you you go wrong with facial hair like that?