Why become a member? ×

What's The Difference Between The Last Two Series Of Fender USA Std Jazz?

bagsieblue

I see that there are recent Fender Standard USA Jazz's around?

Is the newer range the one with the Custom Shop 60's pickups?
Is this the only significant difference?

What are the general opinions on the difference in the pickups - better / worse than the American Standard Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups?

Final question, has the custom shop pickup version now replaced the American Standard Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickup version as the Standard USA Fender Jazz option?

The only difference is that the 2012 and beyond AM standard ones have the 60's custom shop pick-ups on where-as the previous ones had the standard single-coils. Every other aspect of the build/hardware/peripherals are the same. Personally I don't think that the 60's pick-ups are anything super-special compared to the standard pick-ups (I love the standard pick-ups in my 2011 model) especially considering that the unopened pre-2012 ones tend to retail considerably cheaper, usually enough to afford you a new set of pick-ups from most manufacturers of your choice should you decide it was a necessary change.

Those Fender CS60's pickups are fantastic sounding pickups , but the ones in the previous Am St basses were perfectly good , so if you can get one a lot cheaper then they are well worth looking at , and as the man before me said , there are literally hundreds of Jazz pickups to choose from if you fancy a change at a later date .

Edited by Dingus

Thanks everyone.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1365824629' post='2044987']
The price ^_^

BSB
[/quote]

What difference in price do you think would be in (actual, achieveable) new shop prices, also any difference in second hand prices?

I'm not sure how much help these will be , but here is a couple if clips compating the CS 60s pickups with some original 70's era pickups in a 76 Jazz Bass .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RZhAs3VoI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqP9m3OJQHc[/media]

To me they sound very similar in so much as in both cases it sounds just like a decent Jazz Bass should , if you see what I mean . Good as they are , I don't think the newer pickups will make a night -and -day difference to a current Am St. Regarding the secondhand price , the post- 2012 basses are a bit too recent to be popping up used yet , but the earlier post - 2008 can be had for very reasonable money from the sale section on Basschat and seem to come up pretty frequently . If you have got cash to spend , if you keep your eye out you should be able to get yourself a bargain .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1365943098' post='2046230']
Thanks for these Dingus
[/quote]

No problem. I'd just like to point out that those videos aren't me playing , it's some bloke off YT. Here is another pretty good Jazz pickup comparison that includes the Fender CS 60's set and the Fender Originals series which I suspect is what is on the pre - 2012 Jazz Basses . To me all these pickups sound far more similar than they do different :

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0SbaT0UbPM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=w0SbaT0UbPM[/url]

Edited by Dingus