Why become a member? ×

Fender American Standard Precision 5 string - allen key size?

gillento

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi,[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I recently got one of these great MIA P5 in a trade.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Somehow I can't find the right Allen key in order to adjust intonation.... [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I couldn't find any information regarding this online.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I tried with a 3/32" (too small) and a 1/8" (too big) [/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Should I try a metric size?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Who can help? What is the correct size?[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to detract from the original subject Gillento, but can I ask how the Fender compares to your Nordy? I know one is mass produced and one boutique but I was just ondering what the build quality is like on the Fender? does it hold up against the Nordstrand?

I really want a P5 at the moment and trying to decide which drection to head in, cheaper Fender or go for something like a Lull or Nordy.

Many thanks

No worries,

My original question has been answered by -Matt-, anyway!

It is no apples to ranges comparison, but the specs are a bit different.
the Fender is alder/RW P and the Nordy is an ash/RW PJ.
The Fender has the original Fender PU and the Nordy has the NP5 PU in the P position.
The Nordy PU is known to be more agressive (They are offering a more vintage orientated P PU, as well)

Indeed, the Nordy is sounding "quicker" in the mids, whereas the Fender seems a bit mightier/thicker in the low mids and has a slightly lower overall output.
The Fender neck is a bit mightier as well.

The Fender feels and sounds a bit more traditionnal, whereas the Nordy sounds a bit "faster" and more modern.

Both are excellent basses and built quailty is (almost) equal.
As for my taste/needs, I prefer the Nordy, due having the best neck (for MY hands) I ever played and using the additional J PU very often (even if the blend is only about 20%)

The irritating thin about the Fender is indeed, is having to use allen keys in order to change intonation.
I find it much easier to use a regular screw driver for a quick intonation setup.

But the main difference between both basses is the more mellow sound of the Fender...

Hope this helps

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1366911376' post='2059001']
So, what's wrong with good ol' screwdrivers?
[/quote]

Nothing, they are perfect!
That's why I am wondering why Fender is using allen keys for intonation.