Why become a member? ×

Seat belts

harleyheath

Here's a laugh for ya, I was in the construction game nearly all my life, needless to say I've drove large vans all my life an still own one, but not having owned a car of my own for nearly 25 years I bought a little run around to buzz about in, insured it third party, fire an theft as I've never had a crash an it was cheaper, now always driving a van I've never worn a seatbelt, an in my new (old, lol) car it didn't have a seatbelt alarm, which I was more than happy about, but after 8 days of owning it I managed to write it off, air bags are great but don't stop you sliding forward when stopping rather sudden, knees not good now, bedridden an not happy!! :( losing money sitting around, lost all my money on the car an a good lessen learned! Full com, seat belt!! Just glad I'm still here to see my daughter grow up! Bad but very lucky day!!

You got off lightly. Now you know there's no point in taking the risk when it comes to safety features of a car, or insurance. Most people at some point of their life will have an accident, and you'll be glad of either.

Hope you're back on your feet soon, and the accident hasn't taken too much of your confidence! :)

[quote name='harleyheath' timestamp='1365586880' post='2041320']
Thanks for your well wishes! Yh lessen very well learnt! Loss of cash is a pain but I can recover, but yh the potential loss of limbs or life is a different matter ay! Funny coz I always put a seatbelt over my basses while in the front of a car! Lol ;)
[/quote]

How would you live if they came to any harm though? :D

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1365594798' post='2041479']
I'm glad to hear you're recovering.

Can you explain why you never wore seatbelts before? I never understood it personally...
[/quote]

I think a lot of gents of a certain age (from before seatbelts were compulsory) just continue with what they know, although, I doubt Harleyheath is one of those people, because he'd have to be in his 60's now to remember those days... Maybe he is?

Some other people, like people from small rural communities, are just used to jumping in the car to go around the corner, and probably a bit of monkey see monkey do goes on and they carry on like their parents did and don't wear seatbelts.

Those are my personal observations at least. But There's not much sense in it when you consider that you could still get hit by a lorry, even if you are only nipping around the corner at 20mph. People and their habits, eh?

There's always those that argue that their mate only survived because he wasn't wearing a seat belt, but that's like saying my auntie smoked and lived to 90, some people just beat the odds.

I'm guilty of not wearing mine on short trips, but air bags can fail, and even at just a few miles per hour, a bump can do massive damage to the human body.

There really is no excuse is there

yh kind of all of the above, lol. i'm 47 never wore one when I was young, remember them bringing the law in an being the rebellious young oik I was i didn't and old habits die hard I guess, plus I don't like wearing them, no excuse, my bad! recon I will from now on, lol, still nearly 30 years of driving an on major whacks till now guess I was due one, lol.
hasn't affected my driving but I think I might sell the harley, I wouldn't be here if I had been on that.
now the thought of driving into a slurry tank, on the bike, in summer, with just shorts on, that would be too funny! lol
as said basses always get a seat belt, but then they are better looking than me, and need protecting, hehe