Why become a member? ×

Chord Tones vs Scales

philwood

Hi,

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on Chord Tones vs Scales when improvising?
Ive heard that Chord tone approach is how the Jazz greats improvised in the 1940's/50's golden era of Jazz?? Im guessing both are valid and have different pros/cons, just wondered about peoples opinions.
If this topic is elsewhere i apologise!

Thanks

Phil

Hmm, I think you're asking an innately flawed question here. Growing as a musician requires you to learn, experiment, evolve; one 'item' such as a chord tone approach to improvising will not achieve that, neither will lots of separate 'items' that you may amass. You need to recognise that they are simply approaches to learning theory which you then [i]choose[/i] and [i]apply[/i] in your improvs in your own way.

I could go on for longer but I'm trying to keep my answers shorter :)

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

As someone who would like to play jazz, but does not so far, my take on this is that chord tones will give you a harmonically strong link between notes, but may not be that melodic. Scales will give you a weaker harmonic link, but a stronger melodic link that signposts where you are going.

A good bass line will use both, and other techniques, without sounding like an exam answer where you have to shoe-horn everything in, just to show that you know it.

You need to develop a 'language' of your own - but hopefully one that includes stuff other musicians recognise as well :) - in a nutshell to be able to have a 'conversation' with other musicians - like Mark says - you have to look at music as a whole and try and work on the component parts that will enable you to create your own voice.

M

Your question is a bit like 'do you need spelling, grammer or language to tell a story'? You need them all and more. Most of all you need ideas and a context. Chord tones and scales give you both but you need to experiment to make sense of it. If you just used chord tones, you would need a lost of chordal movement to maintain interest. If just used a scale, you would need a sense of melody like a raga player to pull it off indefinately. You need a comprehension of both to make sense of it all. And then, when you understand all that s***, you just forget it and play.

S'easy really.....

In an nutshell, music is made of harmony, melody, rhythm and dynamics (I like to add silence to the list). Control them all and you are in heaven. Leave out harmony and you are in Asia, leave out rhythm and you are in Europe, leave out melody and you are in Sepulchre :). Leave out silence and you might as well be on a train.....