Why become a member? ×

Drum machine advice please

ead

Can anybody please point me in the direction of an inexpensive device that will play a few different (pre-programmed) drum patterns to play along to? I don't really want all the effects modelling stuff that comes with Korgs and I already have a Tascam bass trainer but that just does metronome type clicks and accents.

Cheers

What about one of the many free DAWs available on the internet? I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing one of them has a software drum machine or similar included with it? Anyone familiar with Reaper and it's ilk?

[url="http://www.reaper.fm/"]http://www.reaper.fm/[/url]
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

If you've got a smartphone, then try looking for apps for that.
I'm using Electrum Drum on Android - for £1.30 it's much cheaper than a dedicated machine, and you may well find that the free demo version is good enough. I'm sure there must be equivalents for iPhone, Blackberry or whatever.

Edit to add: I've also tried Caustic on Android, which seems far more flexible, but more complex than I needed.

If I'm practicing using my G01 headphone amp then my phone goes into the aux input and I can get the drum machine beat into the headphones.

Edited by bassment

I've had a look at the Electrum & Caustic apps and they all seem a bit complicated for a simple soul like me. Some of the looper apps appear to suffer from latency when looping, so I'm still on the lookout for something that works for me.

Any more help / advice please?

Electrum is quite simple once you understand the interface. The 16 buttons at the bottom are 1/16th beats. Choose a patch from the middle - e.g. choose kick, then do a basic four on the floor by pressing buttons 1, 5, 9 and 13.
Then select say snare and press 3 and 11.
Hit the the play button and off it goes.

From the menus you can change BPM etc.

Just for fun, using a Samsung S3 and a USB host cable, I can plug my Korg padKontrol in and play my phone using that!

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but our drummer has a mini studio and said he would be happy to create some 1 to 2 minute MP3 drum tracks for me to play along to. Sorted, I sure they can be shared here if required.