Why become a member? ×

Strings for learning

timmo

I am currently learning to play Bass.There are a bewildering array of brands and gauges.Does it matter which gauge or brand i buy, as i have no clue.Are steel wound better than nylon, or nickel?Is there such a thing as a gauge that is best for learning or just buy the mid range priced?

It depends on your learning style IMO, when I start learning something I make it as difficult as possible but practice rigorously so I started on heavy gauge strings with a high action.

If you want to make things a bit easier on yourself then go with lower gauge strings with a low action.

What type of music are you hoping to play?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1365146999' post='2035843']
It depends on your learning style IMO, when I start learning something I make it as difficult as possible but practice rigorously so I started on heavy gauge strings with a high action.

What type of music are you hoping to play?
[/quote]

Agreed... for me it's about whether you're applying a technique approach to learning or a style based approach. If you're happy ploughing through the foundational stuff for months and not bothered about the tone/sound then your choice may well be different than if you're trying to sound like your favourite player.

Personally I like to make things as easy as possible for learners because I've seen so many find it hard, and make a nasty noise when they're setting out - and then give up

The thing is different strings do different jobs and the type of music will ultimately determine the type of string you use. Every player in the world has a drawer full of strings that they've tried before settling on the one they prefer, so if you can afford it why not buy a couple of sets and try them both and see what you prefer - I'd suggest getting a medium gauge set of roundwounds and flatwounds then you'll see the difference and can choose. Try something like Rotosound as a mid market product. There are better and worse.

Easier the better for me :) I just want to play anything.Probably boring, but i would like to play The Chain....Fleetwood Mac.Probably attainable.But i would like to have played the bass on this
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsw3nKDlBE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsw3nKDlBE[/url]