Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 - Single or Dual Humbucker

magcom1977

Hi there.

I'm thinking of buying a Stingray 5 but I'm undecided between the single and dual humbucker models.

Logically I'm thinking I should go for the dual humbucker because it gives me all the options of the single plus a few more. (This is also why I'm ruling out the HS model)

But if that was the case wouldn't everyone be buying the dual humbucker model?

So what am I missing? What are the advantages of the single over the dual apart from the look? Does the greater wood content significantly impact the tone?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Firstly, no matter which you get, the H at the bridge sounds the same. The small variables you do hear would be wood/winding etc and inidividual to each bass, no matter what the pup configuration. Just be aware that from 2008, they went BACK to alnico pickups as per the normal Stingray tone, (ceramic being the Sterling tone).

Secondly, if you want to be able to single coil the bridge pup, don't get the latest H 2008- bass, get the HS, The new H model only allows for parallel, series, and series plus filter. If you want to be able to use a single coil at the neck, plus two other cool tones and the normal H tone, get the HS.

Thirdly, with the HH, you cannot use any single coils; it is all combinations. Yes, they sound great, but the difference in the HS and HH comes down to whether you want the option to use single coils, (and, for example, get the Jazz-ish Jaco tone at the bridge).

In my eyes, unless you really don't mind not having extra tones, get the HS or HH. Not only do they retain their value a little better due to the rarity, but they offer the normal Stingray tone PLUS 4 others. That with a three band EQ = a lot of options.

The HH SR5 is a monsterously powerful ( and good ) sounding bass . Just be aware that the string spacing is on the narrow side and on most examples I have ever played the distribution of the strings on the neck is such that the B and particulaly the G string are very close to the edge of the fingerboard .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364999931' post='2033906']
The HH SR5 is a monsterously powerful ( and good ) sounding bass . Just be aware that the string spacing is on the narrow side and on most examples I have ever played the distribution of the strings on the neck is such that the B and particulaly the G string are very close to the edge of the fingerboard .
[/quote]

Ay, I agree. It is 17.5 mm, but since its 'all I know' for a 5 string bass, I've got used to it and started to really enjoy how fast I can play on it. As all my fivers are by EBMM, I don't have to adjust. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1365001249' post='2033943']
Ay, I agree. It is 17.5 mm, but since its 'all I know' for a 5 string bass, I've got used to it and started to really enjoy how fast I can play on it. As all my fivers are by EBMM, I don't have to adjust. :)
[/quote]

I would hasten to add that there is nothing inherently wrong with either of those two things , it's just something will bother certain people and not bother certain others . If you look at the sheer number of working pros that use the SR5 , that is testimony what good basses they are .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='magcom1977' timestamp='1365004489' post='2034023']
My Overwater 5 had 19mm spacing so there will be an adjustment period but I actually found that too wide.

Anyway, I've just pulled the trigger on a SR5 HH "Honey Roasted" with shell pickguard.

What a rush! :gas:
[/quote]

Wow, freshly ordered?! That was quick :)

Picsssss!

Yes freshly ordered!

I've been going back and forth between different basses for weeks. I'd decided on a SR5, just wasn't sure on the pickup config. But you explained the differences very well and that sold me on the HH.

I toyed with the 20th anniversary model as it sounds awesome in Ed Friedland's review but I've fallen in love with the Honey Roasted package.

Pics posted on arrival.