Why become a member? ×

Best cajon and why?

Beedster

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

I've recently started to play cajon, and I'm really enjoying it. In fact, it's starting to take over from the bass as my main instrument.

There are many cajons available. They basically split into two types - those with snare wires and those without. I generally play the cajon in pop, rock and indie songs and the snare-snap sound is a basic requirement for these, I feel. You can buy cajons with an external switch to "turn off" the snare but this switch often gets in the way of your playing. Probably best to avoid cajons made of MDF or glassfibre or pine. Other than that, you're basically paying for fancy finishes and exotic woods which may or may not make a difference to the sound. As a very rough guide, £100 should get a decent sounding new one - plenty on Ebay.

You may need to consider micing the cajon. I use this: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAJON-DRUM-MIC-KIT-MICROPHONE-CLAMP-CAHON-percussion-folk-instrument-/221175155288?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item337f110a58"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAJON-DRUM-MIC-KIT-MICROPHONE-CLAMP-CAHON-percussion-folk-instrument-/221175155288?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item337f110a58[/url] It clips on securely and really helps to capture the bass sound. I use my mic a lot when playing with other musicians (it simply feeds straight into the desk) and it means I don't end up hitting the cajon too hard and hurting myself. Occasionally, I'll mic the cajon into my Eden E10 bass combo and that works surprisingly well too.

For basic playing techniques, check out Heidi Joubert on YouTube - she's posted lots of useful videos. Get your posture right from the start or you'll hurt your lower back for certain - I did. Ideally, you have to be shaped like a gorilla - short back and long arms. Keep things simple and practise basic beats slowly, making sure you alternate your hands.

Drop me a PM if I can help with anything else. I've not been playing all that long and I've already realised the basic mistakes I made - happy to pass them on!

Steve

Hi Steve, many thanks for posting the above and the link (that thread didn't show up when I searched!). Really helpful information above that has also put my min at rest regarding the amount I need to spend. As was said in the other thread, it's essentially a wooden box!

I'll keep you posted, but may weel return with more questions!

Thanks

Chris