Why become a member? ×

Anyone else work in purchasing / supply chain?

Graham

I work as a buyer (well, vendor schedulor is the new job title since the restructuring last year) for a manufacturing company and was thinking about the qualities and personalities that people who work in purchasing tend to have, and using very broad strokes from both sides, it struck me that buyers and bass players tend to have quite similar personalities.

Both tend to be quiet, problem solvers who get on with work without demanding attention or praise, who's wins are invisible and mistakes are public; tend to have good planning skills and are more drawn to supportive than leadership roles.

Obviously all somewhat stereotypical, but I wondered if anyone else on here worked in the same field?

I am both!...buyer and supplier...my own car sales.

...from a spectrum of a lot of car dealers i know....

The ones i buy from, quite a lot do carp fishing and play an instrument....the more erm 'rough diamonds' play sunday football and carp fishing...an observer of human behaviour may make something of that?

Yep Graham I agree, i've worked in similar fields and I can see where you get the analogy from, us bassists are not really attention seekers, we sit back there do the job and let all the others fight it out for the glory. We walk away satisfied that a good job has been done and we can relax and enjoy something else with an internal grin.

Not only that but i think we tend to have similar tastes in bass gear :D

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1364547509' post='2027901']
Yep Graham I agree, i've worked in similar fields and I can see where you get the analogy from, us bassists are not really attention seekers, we sit back there do the job and let all the others fight it out for the glory. We walk away satisfied that a good job has been done and we can relax and enjoy something else with an internal grin.

Not only that but i think we tend to have similar tastes in bass gear :D
[/quote]
That's pretty much where I was going with it :-)

Iconic, interesting that carp fishing is the common theme there