Why become a member? ×

TheGigRig QuarterMaster

Stolen from my website & blog: [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/review-thegigrig-quartermaster.html"]HERE[/url]

Anyone that has been following my blog will know I'm a big fan of [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/"]TheGigRig[/url]'s product line. A while ago I reviewed the excellent [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/2012/4/28/review-thegigrig-generator-modular-power-system.html"]Generator & Modular Power System[/url] as well as interviewing the man behind the company, [url="http://www.sheponbass.co.uk/blog/interview-daniel-steinhardtthegigrig.html"]Daniel Steinhardt[/url].

The last revision of my large effects rig featured a TheGigRig QuarterMaster 6 - A stunning true bypass switching strip. In fact, it was such an awesome product that after moving to a reduced setup recently featuring 2 smaller boards I invested in a QuaterMaster 4 as well!

[b]TheGigRig QuarterMaster:[/b]

[b]SPECIFICATION...[/b][list]
[*]Highly robust, yet ultra light enclosure
[*]Super compact footprint (only 5cm deep!!!)
[*]Uses TheGigRig true bypass gold relay technology keeping tone perfectly intact and the switching silent
[*]Soft-press foot switches, not clunky 3PDT switches
[*]Available in 4, 6, 8 or 10 loop configurations
[*]Comes with a 'tuner jack' to turn one loop into a silent tuning loop for a tuner pedal
[*]Optional brackets available for mounting to 'Pedal Train' branded pedal boards
[*]Powered by 9v centre negative power supply (regular 'Boss-Type' supply)
[/list]
[url="http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/SWS_QuarterMaster.html"]The QuarterMaster range on the offical TheGigRig website[/url].

[b]FEATURES: 9/10[/b]

The QuarterMaster is a true bypass strip. I've owned one or two. We all know what you use a bypass switch for and it's no lie that they all do the same at it's most basic level. The QuarterMaster range has everything a bypass switcher should have - a switch & an LED along with a send and return jack for each loop. The unit also features your common 9v 'Boss-Style' power input and an in/out jack for the unit.

The components are all high quality, with bright LED's for stage use and the internal relay switching system means you get perfect audio quality without the audio going through unreliable switches.

Every QuarterMaster also comes with an 'Insert Jack' plug which you can insert to the return input of any loop to mute that loop when active. This allows you to turn one loop into either a mute switch or allows you to connect a tuner pedal to the send for silent tuning. It's a simple idea/addition to the package, but one that is well thought-out and makes a nice addition.

A mounting kit is available for those who use Pedal Train boards and would prefer it bolted down as opposed to Velcro. This is however an additional purchase.

[b]PERFORMANCE: 9/10[/b]

The performance of the QuarterMaster range is excellent. The enclosure is small and compact meaning very little movement is needed in the foot from the floor to the switches. This may seem like an odd comment, but many true bypass strips that I have previously owned were all in very tall enclosures. A low profile makes a big difference to an ergonomic set up.

The soft-press switches are another HUGE nod to the performance of this unit. Personally I HATE 3PDT heavy duty switches as they are 'clunky' and require a fair stomp to activate. I LOVE non-latching switches (such as those found on Moogerfoogers) but these often come with less than perfect buffers which mess with your tone. TheGigRig have used a fantastic medium - a heavy duty-esque switch with a softer action which requires much less force than your average stomp box switch but which still has a definite 'click' (rather than clunk!) for confirmation. The LED's are a nice bright blue and are certainly not going to be missed on a bright stage either.

Having gigged my QuaterMasters now over 30 times I can happily report that they perform perfectly.

[i]- My current 2-board set up using the QuarterMaster 4 & 6 switchers:[/i]

[b]BUILD QUALITY: 9/10 [/b]

Build quality can't be faulted. The units are very tough yet surprisingly light weight, so lightweight in fact that if you put one in your pocket (be it a very deep pocket) you'd forget it was there. The components used appear to be of the highest quality with great quality jack sockets and switches.

My only minor niggle regarding the build is that the hex-screws holding the enclosure together stand proud along the front edge of the unit. In the case of using a pedal board with a front lip, this means the screws hold the QuarterMaster back from the front of the board by approximately 3mm. This figure is small and 99.9% of people would think nothing of if it, but for those people counting the mm of space on the board it's worth pointing out that these small screw bolts are not included in the quoted enclosure size on the site (making the unit closer to 5.5cm deep). However, this still makes is smaller than pretty much every other true bypass strip on the market.

[b]VALUE FOR MONEY: 8/10[/b]

As always this is a very subjective point. TheGigRig do not make 'cheap' products, they make high quality professional equipment for people who want that option. Using high quality components, with the excellent relay system, paired with it being built, assembled, tested and QC'd in-house make it an expensive product, but one that is worth every penny. There are cheaper bypass strips available but you simply won't find one which oozes quality like the QuarterMaster.

An excellent product which is worth every penny!

[b]CUSTOMER SUPPORT: 10/10[/b]

It's hard for me to do anything but repeat myself from the review of the Generator & Modular Power System.

Dan is the face and voice of the company as well as being the man behind much of it's development. He is on hand via email, phone (unless he has a soldering iron or Flying V in his hands) and social networking on a daily basis and always happy to help get things right. TheGigRig have become a company with a reputation for great customer service and my experienced of dealing with them confirms this.

[b]OVERALL: 9/10[/b]

The QuarterMaster is a fantastic product which is well thought-out with regards to functionality, performance and footprint. It's price point is spot-on given its significant audio & build quality and it's supported by great customer service.

A well deserved 9/10... In fact, I'm considering a 3rd QuarterMaster for a smaller board I have in mind.

Shep

[i]- Dan's walk-through of a recent competition give-away prize pedal board featuring the QuarterMaster 6:[/i]

[i][media]http://youtu.be/-JTHvY3yKdQ[/media][/i]

Edited by pantherairsoft

• 6 months later...

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1380716230' post='2229370']
I have had the QM 6 on my pedal board for a bit now, by far the lightest, perhaps the smallest and certainly one of the best pedal switching systems around. +1 to the review above.
[/quote]

Agreed! Pretty excellent bit of kit. The size/weight alone makes it a worthwhile addition for anyone that wants a bypass looper.

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking of getting the Quartermaster 10 to sit at the bottom of my Pedaltrain Pro (seriously needs some bypassing happening!). Would you say that it would be best adding a buffer (say a tuner) at the front/end of the bypass strip, or just leaving it be and keeping everything bypassed?