Why become a member? ×

"Faux" C2 build. WITH SAMPLES

paul_5

so anyway, I've decided to diarise my fake OC2 (faux C2) build. Step one is to prepare the board by cutting the traces where necessary.

All 76 of them...

I used a small screwdriver to take out the bulk of the track, and finished the edges with a little kitchen knife.
At this point it's worth checking each and every cut with a meter (I used the Diode setting on mine, as it beeps when there is a short). It's time consuming and a bit dull, but it'll save you loads of time debugging the pedal when you've put everything together and it doesn't work...

Edited by paul_5

• 2 weeks later...

Aiming to start populating the board this weekend - I've also just discovered that I haven't got any 2SK30a trannies, so I'll probabl;y just bung in a pair or 2N5457s and hope for the best... ;)

In the meantime, here's a picture of the veroboard with the links and IC sockets on - ready for the actual components...

[IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/2013-04-05105613_zpsc7ded561.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by paul_5

Finished the board, but no actual 'octave' effect. I substituted the LM324 quad op amp for a TL074, assuming that since the pinouts were the same it would work just as well.

It doesn't. I get a clean signal and two muddy, no treble signals through the OCT 1&2 signals. I reckon it needs to be an actual LM324. TL074 is JFET based and I don't think the 324 is.

Investigation continues... :unsure:

LM324 in position but still getting only wooly/no treble through the OCT 1&2 signal paths.

Had a bit of a think about this - the schematic calls for 2 SK30 transistors which are MOSFETs, I think I've substituted them with JFET ones.

Oops. SK30s in the post. turning out to be quite costly this - the LM324s were £1.50 for 5 and the SK30s are something like 19p EACH!!!

Good job doctortweek.co.uk has loads of vintage/rare goodies on stock. He's on my Xmas card list for sure!

Finally, and without further ado -

[url="http://snd.sc/ZNTxZy"]http://snd.sc/ZNTxZy[/url]

sound clips of my Faux C2 build. These were recorded using a fretless Jazz through the OC2 clone straight into Pro Tools 10.3.4. No other effects or processing was used - I just hit record, played and then bounced them out as mp3 files. There's a recording of the fretless line on its own (effect bypassed) for comparison (if you like that sort of thing).

Edited by paul_5

It cost less than the cost of an OC2 on ebay, that's for sure. I used an old 120 x 95 aluminium case, sockets and 3PDT switch that I had in my shed, so that saved me somewhere between £16 and £20. The actual components would have probably run to about £20, but again, I already had most of the stuff. The SK30 diodes, and the LM324, 4027 chips etc were probably about 50p each. I'm sure if I totalled it up it would run to maybe £40ish, but that would include 3 lots of p&p as I couldn't buy all of the parts from the one shop unfortunately.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1367656446' post='2067938']
It cost less than the cost of an OC2 on ebay, that's for sure. I used an old 120 x 95 aluminium case, sockets and 3PDT switch that I had in my shed, so that saved me somewhere between £16 and £20. The actual components would have probably run to about £20, but again, I already had most of the stuff. The SK30 diodes, and the LM324, 4027 chips etc were probably about 50p each. I'm sure if I totalled it up it would run to maybe £40ish, but that would include 3 lots of p&p as I couldn't buy all of the parts from the one shop unfortunately.
[/quote]

That's a lot cheaper than a normal one :)