Why become a member? ×

Help with Machinehead problem

Help,

I have recently aquire a MIM Urge Bass. I noticed the screws on the machineheads seemed to be pulling away from the headstock a little , after taking off one of the machineheads it seems that the previous owner has replaced the original machineheads and has drilled the holes for the replacements too big. Im a bit stuck at the moment as to what to do , is there any kind of fix for this or will I have to buy some genuine fender machineheads , any suggestions. Have attached pics , sorry for the abysmal picture quality

Edited by thewalruswaspaul

+1 to Neep's suggestions but I'd use match sticks rather than coctail sticks which maybe too small. Matches are slightly softer wood too so if you get a good fit in the holes you wont need to redrill.

The proper way would be to plug all teh holes with the correct wood for the headstock and start again.

[quote name='finnbass' post='207754' date='May 28 2008, 01:47 AM']I am not arguing, but AFAIK the whole point of using cocktail sticks is that they [b]are[/b] harder than matchsticks and therefore more durable. Being small, means that you fit as many as needed.[/quote]

It is better to completely fill the hole, than leave gaps which you will do with cocktail stick as they dont tessallate well. It may take a little longer to whittle the end to fit perfectly but its worth the time.

It will make a stronger joint with the hole completely filled with a sligthly softer wood, than lots of smaller bits that could become dislodged when you drive the wood screw into it.

I learnt this from a gun stocker, who used all sorts of exotic woods and is country renowned for his repair work on best english guns.

• 2 weeks later...