Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Refinish

Steve G

I think I’m probably a bit of a fraud putting this in build diaries really but not sure where else it fits tbh.

Picked this up on Saturday as a bass to leave at work to save keep lugging my current one about. A standard P-Bass needing some TLC. Should have taken a proper photo before I started but was only intending to give it a clean.

From what I can tell it was originally white, or cream maybe, but had been stripped right back at some point. It was then badly finished with what I can only describe as ‘School Desk’ varnish. This included the head stock and neck. The scratch plate was standard white affair that has been painted black. Lots of runs, blobs, flaking etc. Wrong plate to as the truss rod access is at the body end but no cutout.

Tested the varnish under the plate it it came off easily enough so proceeded take the whole thing apart and strip the rest of the body.

Not too bad looking for a 3 piece body. Couple of spots I couldn't clean as they're holes that have been filled but the varnish has got into. I guess a thumb rest or maybe different scratch plate went there originally.

Tried scouring pads etc on the neck and headstock but wouldn't shift it so had to resort to sanding in the end.

Neck needs to be sanded further, proper scratch plate needed (I'll stick with black I think) and the pots/wiring are awful.

Reassembled, but untreated at present. Not sure how best to do this as I like the look it has (although those spots between the bridge and plate are more noticeable). Any pointers?? It will need to come apart again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert, but looking at the routing, white pick-up covers, string-tree and the fact that the scratchplate doesn't allow access to the trussrod, it appears too be very similer to all the early 90's Encores I've owned, and if so, these are bloody good basses for the money. I'd suggest a trip to the paint section of Halfords and see what takes your fancy.

Took the words straight out of my mouth, you mother!

Yeah, I'd fill the holes and just get spraying. The thing is, is those holes are going to annoy you forever, get it sorted now while the bass is srill in bits.

Remember to keep patient and flatten properly after each coat of paint. By the time you've got all the colour down, you'll be spraying like a pro, so applying the lacquer will be a no brainer; get some nitro, it's easier to get a glossy finish!

Truckstop

Thanks for the comments gents. :)

90s Encore eh? I'll go along with that but have no clue tbh. It does sound good though, certainly compared to my other bass (stagg).

Lee is along the way I'm thinking for finishing though, keep it natural.

Don't think too much will happen for a little while, loads on at work with some trips to do etc, but I'll post any progress.