Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT CL VS VR

sexy666

Hey there,

I currently own an SVT-VR and have briefly owned an SVT-CL (although I only played it through the Ashdown Mag cabs I had at the time).
I'm sure more people will be able to explain the differences better than myself but I've found there's something special about the tone of the VR, there's nothing quite like it. I never thought that about the CL although as I mentioned I havent played it though a decent cab. My thoughts on the CL were that it was a solid amp with great tone and an evenness which alot of amps don't seem to nail, also a plus is that it has separate gain and master volume knobs so you can get some grit at decent volume levels; good luck trying to get anything other than clean out of the VR ;)
As I'm sure you're aware the CL is the current/modern take on the SVT while the VR is the vintage reissue of the original early 70's blueline SVT's.

Johnny

Edited by Johnnyc

Now i have 2 marshalls: VBA400 and 1992 LEM (Lemmy signature). They both sounds great, but the pure magic is the 100w super bass (lem). It sounds like your dream, if you're a insane rock player. It gets dirty on "4", after it only gets GAIN GAIN and more Gain, especially if you link the channels. Both channels on 10 gives you fuzz/distortion on the highest level :)
The Vba has a lot of headroom, you can turn up the gain, it will be a little distorted too, but with a more modern taste. Not as musical as the LEM.

So, i think, some similar things are with CL and VR too. VR may have that "magic", what my super bass has, but i think, it may have more headroom, more clean power.

which channel do you use mate? Tried to link em?

I usually use the normal channel 1 on the VR, and yeah I've tried to link the "bright" channel 1 into the normal channel 2, you can get some different tonal options but no distortion I'm afraid. I haven't even tried to see at what point the VR starts to break up as it's just so damn loud. I don't think I've ever been past 10 o clock on the volume knob tbh.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1363622625' post='2014879']
[size=5][sub]As long as you aren't talking about VR Micro which is a hideous whiney thing, IMO.[/sub][/size]
[/quote]

Don't be affraid, we're talking about the good VR :D

[quote name='Johnnyc' timestamp='1363622303' post='2014873']
I usually use the normal channel 1 on the VR, and yeah I've tried to link the "bright" channel 1 into the normal channel 2, you can get some different tonal options but no distortion I'm afraid. I haven't even tried to see at what point the VR starts to break up as it's just so damn loud. I don't think I've ever been past 10 o clock on the volume knob tbh.
[/quote]

Nice :)

So, i think, the VR will be my next purchase :)

thank you for your opinions!

If you like Marshalls, but want Ampegyness, Umph has a Marshall 2001 400watt all valve bass head going, its pretty much what they made for endorsers who wanted an SVT. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/151389-marshall-2001-400w-epic-doom-valve-beast/page__p__1519479__hl__marshall%202001__fromsearch__1#entry1519479"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1519479[/url]

Edit: Should prob note its still going, since the post I linked is really old, he mentioned it on my Ampstack facebook page.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

I also own SVT VR and I love it. It just sounds great and it sits in a band sound like nothing else. I use it with ampeg 8x10 of course, this combination is just killer. yes, distorted sound is on such volume, that changes your heart rhytm, but I prefer to use various Dists/OD pedals rather than crank the VR.
I tried friends GK on last rehearsal and its tone was some kind clearer, but the overal sound of the band wasnt that huge like with SVT VR.

Edited by p58

[quote name='p58' timestamp='1363690866' post='2015800']
I also own SVT VR and I love it. It just sounds great and it sits in a band sound like nothing else. I use it with ampeg 8x10 of course, this combination is just killer. yes, distorted sound is on such volume, that changes your heart rhytm, but I prefer to use various Dists/OD pedals rather than crank the VR.
I tried friends GK on last rehearsal and its tone was some kind clearer, but the overal sound of the band wasnt that huge like with SVT VR.
[/quote]

thank you mate!
what kind of pedals do you using?

I have various pedals at the moment:
-my main dirt pedal (for moderate distortion) is Aguilar Agro
-Wooly Mammoth clone - huge sound in sub harmonies even with less gain
-ProCo Turbo RAT - for sound simmilar to chainsaw in madmans hands

on my wishlist are now some other pedals - COG Knightfall, maybe next Agro so I can have two different settings, maybe VT bass ... many flavours of dirt are something that I really dig and I like to try as much as possible.