Why become a member? ×

Scratch Built JaseBass 4 String Bass

Bigjas

For a few years now, I have wanted to have a go at making a guitar or bass but never had the confidence or time to have a go. I read these pages and follow builds and read the technical forums and I have learnt quite a lot, but not as much as I have actually making one!! This is not so much a build diary, but a reflection on the past couple of months and to share my experiences.

I am a Carpentry and Joinery teacher in a College so the woodworking side of things has been pretty straight forward, but I have never maintained let alone made a guitar before. The most I have ever done to a guitar is change the strings and give it a clean every now and then. To those of you out there who can competently build guitars and other instruments I take my hat off to you, you have a great talent.

So this was my idea.............. to build a Bass Guitar for me to use in my covers band. I wanted the bass to look nice, but also to play well and sound half decent, but on a budget. The timber I used was sourced from the off cuts bin at work, most of the fittings were bought from ebay (the cheapest I could find) and the pickups were secondhand from a member from Basschat B) I have not added up all the bills but I think it comes to a healthy £150 ish all in.

The Bass has an Ash body with Walnut top and Burr Elm Veneer, Ash neck with American Black Walnut Fretboard, Wilkinson Tuners and Seymore Duncan SSB-4 Pickups.

So, here comes the last few months of wood butchering and head scratching in pictures.................

Jas

[attachment=129928:IMG_0772.JPG]

[attachment=129930:IMG_0906.JPG]

[attachment=129931:IMG_1008.JPG]

[attachment=129932:IMG_1100.JPG]

Won't let me upload any more pictures, but I have written a blog here with more details and pictures
[url="http://jasebass.webs.com/jasebass-001-bass-guitar"]http://jasebass.webs.com/jasebass-001-bass-guitar[/url]

Edited by Bigjas

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1363273400' post='2010832']
Looks really good Jas.... especially for a first build ! :)
So ....what's the next one going to be?
[/quote]

Yeah I'm really pleased with the end result, I never thought it would actually play so well.

hmm the next one................... I have got the building bug and have started thinking about a 5 string Bass :) I have learnt so much from my first build it would be a shame to waste all that learning ;)

Jas

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1363277561' post='2010938']
Beautiful bass and the best position for the back pickup. Bet that sounds good soloed.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll find out tonight :)

There is some info regarding pickup positions that I stumbled across on the web, its such a fascinating subject to research.

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1363278417' post='2010958']

There is some info regarding pickup positions that I stumbled across on the web, its such a fascinating subject to research.

Jas
[/quote]

I've seen some stuff on the net about pickup placement and various discussions. Be interesting to hear how you feel about your placement.

Well, I took it to rehearsals last night and I am extremely happy :) It plays and sounds great, just how I wanted it to. For most of the time I used the Bridge Pickup soloed as it sounds so good. It held its tune all night and was comfortable to play. Now thats satisfaction!! and on to the next build...................... B)

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1363271272' post='2010781']
To those of you out there who can competently build guitars and other instruments I take my hat off to you, you have a great talent.
[/quote]

I think you can class yourself as one of these people now. Well done, it looks fantastic.

:)