Why become a member? ×

Japanese SQ series Squier value?

such

There is that Squier jazz bass, it might be for sale, I might be buying it. Made in Japan in 1985, serial number starting with SQ, sort of cream-ish white colour, there is a "Fender" stamp in the neck pocket of the body. What would be a right price for something like this? I'm not sure if I am going to buy this, because that would mean deciding against another tempting option, plus the seller is a god friend and will probably be reading this, so don't want to screw him over, either.

Any ideas?

There are folks on here who know stuff but I've been watching these for a little while and, as no-one else has chipped in, thought I'd wade in first! One has just gone from 'for sale' to 'on hold' on our classifieds, on sale for £350. I would say that is about right from what I've been looking at recently.

There is a kind of hierarchy of Japanese Squiers, it seems to me. The first ones made are the most desirable - the JV series. I've read reports that say these are better than the USA made guitars of the time, don't know if that is true, but they had quality parts and quality builds. Next made were the SQ series, then after those the E series, then various other serial number configurations that, for various reasons, go for less money. The last ones, made in the early 90s, were the 'Silver Series' which seem to have ended on a high as they get better write-ups than some of the middle period ones.

I'd buy any of them. I have an E series Jazz and a Silver Series Precision and both are absolute quality instruments. The Silver Series Precision is honestly the best P.Bass I have picked up straight out of the case - it has a tone to die for. My E series Jazz sounds *exactly* like a Jazz bass should, although it is a little heavy. Both have absolutely fantastic necks. An SQ series Jazz is only going to be of the same, or even better, quality.