Why become a member? ×

Cheap DB sought
£50

I'm interested in taking up the double bass and was wondering if anyone had a cheap one they wanted shot of. I play viola in an orchestra and jazz piano so I'm looking to display my lack of talent in both arenas (I understand I'd need different strings and perhaps bridges but I'll cross that (bridge) when I come to it).

There are new instruments going for about £400 (gear4music etc) but they seem to be less than universally admired. While I see if it's up my street I'm not looking to spend more than maybe a couple of hundred on one. I appreciate I can only expect something pretty ropey for that price but I'm not concerned provided it's reasonably playable.

I'm in Cheshire so can pick up in the north west, or maybe further afield.

Many thanks for any help.

You really have two options buy new or pre-loved
Having recently gone through the minefield of buying a Double bass the general feeling is to AVOID G4M.
Like most things you get what you pay for, Stingraypete recently brought a nice bass new from Gedomusik.de for around £900
From what Pete has said it was decently setup to the style he required and arrived in good time, also came with a free bow and some rosin.

There is also Thomann.de seem to have decent reviews for some of the cheaper bass
I brought a Pre-Loved Bass from Ceilidhswinger yesterday for £900 and it was exactly as described a beautiful 3/4 curved blonde with loud voice :gas:
Also if you buy from Forum members your not going to get taken for a ride.

Not much help i know

Also ask questions of the Double bass forum you will get many experienced responses

I completely agree with the reply above. For the price you have in mind your best bet is to wait until you have another £ 7-800 to spend. Otherwise you will buy a worse than terrible instrument which will put you off playing double bass. My first bass was a Stentor which I bought for £600. It was not great but not as bad as the one mentioned above. As Owen said, in double bass you really get what you pay for. My Stentor lasted me 6 months, by which time I had understood what a db should sound like and felt I had to buy a decent one. If you bought a decent one to begin with, it would hold its value and if db is not for you, you could re-sell it and loose not so much on it. That's only my opinion though, you do what makes you happy.
All the very best.

Yes, I guess you're right. Perhaps it's a bit of a big ask. Unfortunately, I'm getting married next month (actually, that didn't come out right...) so gratuitous expenditure isn't the order of the day.

I suppose it's possible to justify a bigger purchase on the re-selling argument but if like me you know nothing about the instruments you could easily end up paying a pile for something worth very little. eBay is a real danger on that basis but at least on this forum you're less likely to get stung. I'll keep an eye out for whatever turns up.

Many thanks chaps. Hope to be twanging along with you before long.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1363022981' post='2007118']
[url="http://www.edencompanies.com/bogdon/"]http://www.edencompanies.com/bogdon/[/url]
[/quote]

That bass may be cheap, but have you seen the rack of amplification it needs to audible?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a half size one set up for rockabilly in perfect nick can send you a pic want 300 it has inovation strings on it a gig bag and bow if you want to bow it its an antoni gold edge is a decal looks coll very minimal marking sounds deep plugged in my tel no is 07802410222 im at manchester ta bob