Why become a member? ×

2x10 cab not reacting well to fuzz

lefrash

I've got a cheapo harley benton 2x10 in my practice rig. It rarely gets use at gigs, and its really just used for back up, and so that I've got the option to get a bit more volume if necessary. Something I've noticed though is that it really doesnt take distortion or fuzz well at all. It sounds perfectly fine as running clean, but the fuzz instantly makes it sound tinny and fizzy. I normally run my 1x15 cab alone at gigs and my fuzz and OD settings sound really nice, and my sounds also work well going through other amps I've tried, so I'v narrowed it down to just the HB cab.

Anyone else got experience of this 2x10 (or any similiar cheapo 2x10) and found the same as me? Also, when I turn the tweeter down to minimum, do you think this turns it off or just down to a minimum as this could be the cause of the fizz?

Considering the amount I actually use it, I'm not going out to buy another cab (plus I'm skint), but you reckon buying a slightly better set of speakers could improve the sound?

I personally think it could very well be the tweeter causing the problem, but I'd rather not go rewire it etc without any proof!

Any help appreciated.

This is the model: HB 210T

Edited by lefrash

A new set of speakers would probably work wonders. HB cabs are fairly inexpensive, and speakers are a good area on which to cut costs.

Strictly speaking speakers should be put in cabs with correct measurements - a lot of stuff I can`t explain. But I`ve changed a few sets, and it`s always been an improvement to the stock speakers - at least to my ears, and my bandmates, who have noticed the difference without me telling them.

I like Eminence speakers - they`re used in Ampeg etc, and have a nice quality to them. Some may suggest Celestions but I find them a bit harsh - but it`s all about personal preference. Lean Business are good for a range of bass speakers.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1362599977' post='2002024']
Fuzz and tweeters do not get along well. That's why guitar speakers don't have them.
[/quote]

+1

See if you can disconnect the tweeter and give it a go then. Should be much much better!

Also have a go at swapping the speakers out for something a little more heavyweight. Eminence are a good starting point and they often turn up on eBay for not much money; dead easy to swap over too, just a little clip to attach. The speaker chassis will fit the original screw holes too.

Good luck and have fun!

Alex

Next time I get a chance then I'l open it up and see how the tweeter is connected. They normally are connected with those clips anyway rather than hard wired arent they? I fully understand that fuzz and tweeters dont mix, but since the cab doesnt have the option of turning it off, I was thinkng that perhaps that turning it to minimum was actually turning it off... perhaps not.

I may be tempted getting a few nice speakers anyway, I really like the size and dimensions of the cab so thats another reason I dont particularly want to rid. I know that speakers are tuned to certain cabs etc, but I should be able to find speakers that are suitable.