Why become a member? ×

PA

tom1946

Hi, I hope this is the right place.....

One of the small chapels in our circuit has no PA system, they have very little money either and I want to help.
It is a small country chapel with a regular congregation of around 20 - 30 mostly elderly and slightly deaf people. The church itself is just a square box and a man with a loud voice would manage ok.

So the question is, what would you recommend? Something around 100w would be fine, we'd need a lecturn mic stand + a portable stand & a radio mic too. Budget of around £150 - to £250.

any thoughts or advice very welcome.

Thanks.

edit* would something like this be ok? It's only for speech.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pulse-2-x-100w-DJ-PA-System-Kit-Package-speakers-amplifier-inc-mic-cables-/271155700306#vi-content

Edited by tom1946

Yes that kind of thing would suit you ok, The Box stuff is also surprisingly sturdy given its cost, we used the speakers for monitors and FOH for 3 years and still have never had a speaker fail, we still have the amp head as a back up.

Radio mike wise be a little wary, a lot of cheaper ones (the likes of Pro-Sound from Maplins) have a built in noise gate (if the mike is not picking up a loud enough signal it will close the gate and shut off the background noise) the only problem is that is is very slow opening back up so effectively you lose the first words of a sentence. It's not too much of a problem for a DJ or a singer but can be a real issue with the spoken word (conferences, sermons etc)

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. That Pulse system does look as though it'll be more than adequate. My wife preached there this morning and as she is quietly spoken I took her Marshall AS50 acoustic guitar amp along and that worked fine.

It may be worth looking into an induction loop which will probably be more helpful to the members with hearing aids. I've seen one installed in a village hall using an old hi-fi power amp and 2-core cable for the loop, so they don't need to be complicated or expensive.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1362325509' post='1998376']
Hi, I hope this is the right place.....

One of the small chapels in our circuit has no PA system, they have very little money either and I want to help.
It is a small country chapel with a regular congregation of around 20 - 30 mostly elderly and slightly deaf people. The church itself is just a square box and a man with a loud voice would manage ok.

So the question is, what would you recommend? Something around 100w would be fine, we'd need a lecturn mic stand + a portable stand & a radio mic too. Budget of around £150 - to £250.

any thoughts or advice very welcome.

Thanks.

edit* would something like this be ok? It's only for speech.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pulse-2-x-100w-DJ-PA-System-Kit-Package-speakers-amplifier-inc-mic-cables-/271155700306#vi-content
[/quote]
That kit would be fine Tom. It might even be a bit much. The key to amplifying a church or hall etc is to get the speakers elevated so the sound can carry. If you mount that kit right I'm sure it would be more than ample.