Why become a member? ×

Another preamp question!

Right, I've bought a cheap bass, a cheap piezo and well, everything sounds less than great.

To be fair, I've yet to try it through anyting other than my practice amp so I can't really tell what it sounds like, but I suspect that there isn't much output from the piezo so I am going to need a preamp of some kind.

Bearing in mind that so far my outlay has been around £200 (including £50 for petrol to collect the bass) I am reluctant to spend a lot. I'm looking at using one of those ART or Behringer tube mic preamps that you can get for about £40, is this a good idea? Or should I go for the Fishman B11 acoustic bass preamp at around £70.

I'm playing in a noisy folk/country/skiffle/Irish type pub band so I'm not looking for a hi-fi sound, I just want to be loud!

Any suggestions more than welcome!

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362244425' post='1997514']
You might still find that things don't sound so great, welcome to the world of double bass amplification.
[/quote]

Yes, with cheap gear I'm not expecting too much, but as I'm just dabbling with upright bass really, I'm reluctant to spend much. I just want to make a loud thump while looking cool....

I do intend to buy a small, loud combo at some point, probably a promethian, as I doubt very much that my Acoustic or Ashdown rig with 15 inch cabs will be ideal.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1362246888' post='1997553']
Yes, with cheap gear I'm not expecting too much, but as I'm just dabbling with upright bass really, I'm reluctant to spend much. I just want to make a loud thump while looking cool....[/quote]

Oh no I meant even with expensive gear getting a good amplified sound with a double bass can be very difficult. Piezos have unpleasant dominant characteristics and there's no real killer design out there, they all have their good and bad points.

If you can get a sound you like from a piezo + preamp setup (any piezo + preamp) then more power to you. I never managed it.

I spent 20 minutes with a file this morning, fitting the transducer into the bridge wing properly and lo and behold, the output is a lot better!

Tonally, there is still room for improvement but at least come gig day, I would be heard.

A preamp might still be a good idea, but I'm thinking a small 10 inch cab might be a better investment at the moment?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362251496' post='1997642']
Oh no I meant even with expensive gear getting a good amplified sound with a double bass can be very difficult. Piezos have unpleasant dominant characteristics and there's no real killer design out there, they all have their good and bad points.

If you can get a sound you like from a piezo + preamp setup (any piezo + preamp) then more power to you. I never managed it.
[/quote]

It's nice to know that I could spend a fortune and still get a rubbish sound!

Don't go spending good money on a different amp, it won't improve the sound as much as you think. Only amps designed specifically for DB/acoustic instruments will be an improvement (but only if the instrument is set up properly to start). The quality of the DB setup and the piezo / pickup / mic system is paramount., that's where you should invest imo.

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1362331446' post='1998486']
Don't go spending good money on a different amp, it won't improve the sound as much as you think. Only amps designed specifically for DB/acoustic instruments will be an improvement (but only if the instrument is set up properly to start). The quality of the DB setup and the piezo / pickup / mic system is paramount., that's where you should invest imo.
[/quote]

I guess so, but I'm only dabbling at the moment. It's a cheap G4M bass, "carved front" and a cheap piezo. The whole thing has only cost me about £150 so far, and tbh I don't want to spend much more. I got the bass for the price of the strings that were fitted (d'addario) and although the action is high, I find it quite playable. I may look into taking the bridge off and lowering it though.

I'm wondering if a cheap valve mic preamp like the ART or Behringer will improve things enough to use it for gigs? I'm not after hi fi quality, just decent volume and a half decent tone.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1362337370' post='1998606']
Sounds like a bargain that g4m bass, I never get deals like that!
[/quote]

I got it off 4stringfortress for £120 plus the petrol money from Leicester to Cardiff.... Including gig bag and stand! I left him the hard case to sell seperately, he would have given me that too if I could have got the lot in my car!

It's "carved" according to the G4M website.... carved by whom and with what, is up for debate! But it looks like a DB, seems ok to play, for a relative newcomer like me at least and has cost me just over £200 including the ART MP Project Series preamp I've just won on ebay for £20!

Happy days!

I'm in the process of building an fdeck 'quick and dirty' impedance buffer. Just waiting on one part to arrive in the post and it will be finished 10 minutes later. Total cost about a tenner and an hours work. That should allow me to plug straight into my amp. Might be worth considering if you can wield a soldering iron. Come to think of it, you could do it with spade connectors and terminal blocks.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/quickand.pdf