Why become a member? ×

Bass terror volume problems

markbunney

I have an orange terror bass 500 with an orange sp212 cab. For the last few gigs ive been having to set the volume higher and higher to get enough output to keep up with the rest of the band. For the last gig volume was on 12 o clock and gain on 10 o clock for a small pub.

Anyone else had this problem? Its only 9 months old and has already been back to orange once with a similar problem. The cab was replaced that time but im begining to suspect its the amp

Thanks!

Try swopping the valves. Sounds like one of your two pre-amp valves has a problem.

Plenty of people on Basschat have swopped out the original very high-gain AX7's (due to [i][b]excessive [/b][/i]volume, ironically) so if you ask nicely there should be someone who can let you have a pair of original fitments.

EQ is pretty much all at 12 o clock. Cab is 600w 2x12 and it used to be really loud. However for the last few gigs I have been having to set the volume higher and higher to achieve the same level of output. Gigs have been at different venues, but pretty similar size, layout, number of people etc.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362062251' post='1995180']
As it`s still under warranty take it back - Andertons are very good with things like this. If it were out of warranty I`d say swap valves etc, but this may void the warranty, so swap for a new one I`d say.
[/quote]

Good call Lozz, I'd forgotten about the warranty bit.

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1362061118' post='1995149']
EQ is pretty much all at 12 o clock. Cab is 600w 2x12 and it used to be really loud. However for the last few gigs I have been having to set the volume higher and higher to achieve the same level of output. Gigs have been at different venues, but pretty similar size, layout, number of people etc.
[/quote]

EQ at 12 is mid scooped, and mid scoop is the recipe for sounds loud alone, disappears in a mix. But if the volume with band is dropping, then something is breaking. Isobaric 2x12 means 1x12 comparative output, since one of the 12s isn't contributing to output.