Why become a member? ×

Mics for bass, and other stuff too.

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362626527' post='2002424']
This would do what i want alright, wouldn't it? Would love to get that Apogee Duet, but got to balance the quality with the cost unfortunately :(

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/motu_4_pre.htm"]http://www.thomann.d.../motu_4_pre.htm[/url]
[/quote]

That looks OK, but FWIW, I view 4 channel interfaces with no ADAT as the worst of both worlds - you have more preamps than you need for recording simple overdub-based demos, and not enough to ever consider recording a live band.

At that sort of money, I'd buy the RME babyface and be prepared to buy an ADAT equipped 8 channel mic-pre/converter, so you'd have the possibility of expanding to 10 channels

Alternatively, if you want more inputs now at around that sort of budget, I'd go for one of the various firewire interfaces with 8 mic pre's and ADAT connectivity - 8 channels is (just) enough to make a live recording of a small band, and with ADAT you can easily add more if/when you need them.

E.g looking at MOTU, you could get the 8pre for a tiny bit more than the 4pre, and IMO it will be a much more versatile solution.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr11/articles/rme-babyface.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/motu8pre.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/articles/presonusfirestudio.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug11/articles/mackie-onyx-blackbird.htm

Some of those have been around for a while, but IMO they have a much better featureset, which will last you longer.

If you really do only want 4 channels, I'd still buy the Babyface, and add an SPDIF equipped external mic-pre/channel-strip later

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362647679' post='2002535']
If money was no object, i would go all out on the recording gear. And also pay somebody to come and teach me how to use it all :D But as it stands, i'll just stick to the home hobbyist equipment for now.
[/quote]
Heh if money were not object I'd have myself my own [url="http://www.miraverse.com/"]Manifold Studios[/url]

And I'd be officially the happiest man alive :D

• 1 month later...

Milt , I have just been through this thread , and I think the advice and the input has been awesome , I really do , these guys really know their stuff , and no disrespect either way , but I don't think you understand the advice and that it will NEVER kick in until you gain the experience of trying the sh*t out ,

I bought a home recording kit 2 years ago and fluffed it from the off , firewire ports ......to a PC ..... :( etc etc etc , so I sold stuff on cos I was a total numpty , I still am , but its not until you try the kit that you get to the bones of it , I reckon that half of the advice on this thread will take at least a year to understand for me , and I am starting to get it :gas:

Join in with the mix and composition comps , you WILL learn shedloads and quickly , you will probably win one before I get a vote ;) , but the learning curve is awesome , and when Si discusses something with those who also knows sh*t , and you actually understand it , it just feels great .

What I am saying is, dont fret over the minutiae of your masterplan , get Reaper, a Focusright Scarlett 2+2 , a cheap mic and record the world :D

when you've done that you can tailor the advice because it will start to make sense in a practical way
HTH

ed to change the word stuff , I use it to much, WTF , sh*t is probably a better word , I was even going to change the word fluffed , because it rhymed with stuffed ...............................but I didn't

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1367360819' post='2064819']
Milt , I have just been through this thread , and I think the advice and the input has been awesome , I really do , these guys really know their stuff , and no disrespect either way , but I don't think you understand the advice and that it will NEVER kick in until you gain the experience of trying the sh*t out ,

I bought a home recording kit 2 years ago and fluffed it from the off , firewire ports ......to a PC ..... :( etc etc etc , so I sold stuff on cos I was a total numpty , I still am , but its not until you try the kit that you get to the bones of it , I reckon that half of the advice on this thread will take at least a year to understand for me , and I am starting to get it :gas:

Join in with the mix and composition comps , you WILL learn shedloads and quickly , you will probably win one before I get a vote ;) , but the learning curve is awesome , and when Si discusses something with those who also knows sh*t , and you actually understand it , it just feels great .

What I am saying is, dont fret over the minutiae of your masterplan , get Reaper, a Focusright Scarlett 2+2 , a cheap mic and record the world :D

when you've done that you can tailor the advice because it will start to make sense in a practical way
HTH

ed to change the word stuff , I use it to much, WTF , sh*t is probably a better word , I was even going to change the word fluffed , because it rhymed with stuffed ...............................but I didn't
[/quote]

Cheers for the viewpoint, Lurks!

Yeah, I get that it's a learning curve, but it is kinda the direction I want to go in, so if I spend some time and money now, and decide that it's not for me, at least i'm not shelling out and wasting years on a course I won't ever use, if that makes sense? I reckon I likely will like it though.

I've kind of jumped the gun too and bought Logic Pro 9 (I got loads of iTunes gift vouchers for christmas and my birthday so used them on that). Maybe I will get involved in the mixing comp, but I never really intended on mixing and mastering my own recordings, just recording them and farming off the recordings for somebody else to work their magic on. I reckon that would be worth whatever it costs, rather than trying to fluff my way through it.

I'm guessing the mixing comp has closed for this month anyway, eh? :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367361573' post='2064830']
Cheers for the viewpoint, Lurks!

Yeah, I get that it's a learning curve, but it is kinda the direction I want to go in, so if I spend some time and money now, and decide that it's not for me, at least i'm not shelling out and wasting years on a course I won't ever use, if that makes sense? I reckon I likely will like it though.

I've kind of jumped the gun too and bought Logic Pro 9 (I got loads of iTunes gift vouchers for christmas and my birthday so used them on that). Maybe I will get involved in the mixing comp, but I never really intended on mixing and mastering my own recordings, just recording them and farming off the recordings for somebody else to work their magic on. I reckon that would be worth whatever it costs, rather than trying to fluff my way through it.

I'm guessing the mixing comp has closed for this month anyway, eh? :D
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Do it Milt ( This month is still OK , it is running over )

You HAVE to understand the process , if you are no good at it , get someone to do it , but you dont need to do a course , just get involved , you have great confidence in all the reviews you do , just apply a bit of yourself .

I love the way you would pass off the mixing and mastering to someone else with the confidence that the recording is totally in your control and sorted, it kind of has a really sweet naivety to it :P .

ed for sp

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1367362695' post='2064839']
NOOOOOOOOOOO

Do it Milt ( This month is still OK , it is running over )

You HAVE to understand the process , if you are no good at it , get someone to do it , but you dont need to do a course , just get involved , you have great confidence in all the reviews you do , just apply a bit of yourself .

I love the way you would pass off the mixing and mastering to someone else with the confidence that the recording is totally in your control and sorted, it kind of has a really sweet naivety to it :P .

ed for sp
[/quote]

Lol, it really is a sweet naivety, but one born out of affordability. I really couldn't afford a grand or 2 to go an record and have mixed and mastered all the things I want. I'm assuming that mixing and mastering would cost a couple of hundred. If I get a good interface and DI, I might not even bother with a mic this time around (money, again) unless I can get a hold of one at a good price.

I'm still going to do the course though. It's a music course. It's bleeds in to all aspects of popular and modern music.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367361573' post='2064830']
but I never really intended on mixing and mastering my own recordings, just recording them and farming off the recordings for somebody else to work their magic on. I reckon that would be worth whatever it costs, rather than trying to fluff my way through it.
:D
[/quote]

word of advice, learn to mix as well as record.

i know you don't plan to mix your own stuff, but unless you know how to mix, you won't learn how important it is to get things right when recording.

mixing stuff you haven't recorded can be a real mission, especially if it isn't recorded properly.

i know its not your goal, but recording and mixing go hand in hand....if you wan't a good mix back, you need to understand the process to ensure what you put into the system is the best it can be... its not as simple as just whacking a di and mic on a rig and letting someone else sort it out.

simple terms if you know what the mixer is going to struggle with and eliminate it at source, you will save their time and your money :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1367408045' post='2065197']
word of advice, learn to mix as well as record.

i know you don't plan to mix your own stuff, but unless you know how to mix, you won't learn how important it is to get things right when recording.

mixing stuff you haven't recorded can be a real mission, especially if it isn't recorded properly.

i know its not your goal, but recording and mixing go hand in hand....if you wan't a good mix back, you need to understand the process to ensure what you put into the system is the best it can be... its not as simple as just whacking a di and mic on a rig and letting someone else sort it out.

simple terms if you know what the mixer is going to struggle with and eliminate it at source, you will save their time and your money :)
[/quote]

Noted :)

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1367479173' post='2066082']
A couple of hundred to mix and master one song would be more accurate.

Still think someone else should do your mixes?
[/quote]

Eh... no :(

You can tell me if my mix is any good for the comp, then I'll see if it's worth me doing it or not :D