Why become a member? ×

Neo Speakers and D Class amps sounding thin? A possible solution?

Dood

Hi BassChatters!

I've been messing around with my gear quite a lot recently.

My original plan was to find a 'parametric EQ' pedal that had a D.I. out on it for daisy chaining my signal paths on in my rack set up. Something simple that'd be left on all the time.

Interestingly, just by roaming basschat and talkbass, one of the options that came up was the Aphex Bass Xciter pedal. I have to admit, I have never really looked closely at these, as I assumed that they, like the BBE Sonic Maximiser only actually affected the treble frequencies. (The low control on those is - or at least was on the unit I had just an EQ bass boost at 50Hz). So, out came the manual for the Xciter to check it out. I was interested to see that you could 'tune' the low and high pass filters on board as to how much of the audio frequency range the pedal would interact with and they both truly processed, rather than, as I mention above, just added EQ boost. Certainly the areas of frequencies I was looking to target were covered by the 'lo-tune' knob.

All looking good, I managed to grab one off of eBay for a good price and have spent today playing with it whilst..err... 'working' ha!

I'm really happy with how it sounds in my rack, but then I had a great idea!

(Yes, yes, I'll get to the point!!)

I've noticed quite a few people suggesting that D Class amplification and Neo speakers combined don't sound like Mosfets and Ceramic speakers - something perceived in the lows just isn't there for one reason or another.

This quote from the manual got me thinking:

[font=Helvetica][size=3][b][i]The Big Bottom - What Is It?[/i][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]Low frequencies are the most difficult to reproduce[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]well. That is because of many problems involving[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]acoustic mass, standing waves, and acoustic interference.[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]It takes huge amounts of power to project[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]a strong bass note. Those of you who are bass[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]players know that. Simply giving bass frequencies[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]more power can heighten the volume level, but at[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]some point it is impractical to go any further. Big[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]Bottom was developed to get an extended and stronger[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]bottom end with existing amps and speakers.[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]Whereas the Aural Exciter clarifies and projects the[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]sonic details mainly carried in the upper frequencies,[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]Big Bottom improves the low end reproduction.[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]In certain ways, Big Bottom behaves like a bass compressor,[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]because it extends and sustains the notes.[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]But, unlike a compressor, it does nothing to stop[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]the leading edge of transients. It does not reduce or[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]diffuse the snap, pluck, or punch. And, because it[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]uses a dynamic, constantly changing kind of boost,[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]it progressively augments the deeper tones as they[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]decay, making the notes more solid and allowing[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]your amp and speakers to develop their maximum[/i][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3][i]output more safely.[/i][/size][/font]

[font=Helvetica][size=3]Would it be possible to add back in that perceived loss using the Xciter? Well, I kinda know what is being suggested and I certainly think that this little pedal does a very good job of adding in weight and girth to the sound without just boosting at one single EQ centre (which can lead to an uneven boosting I think). If you feel that you are suffering from a thin low end, I'd suggest picking one up! I grabbed an older version with the blue and black casing, but there's a newer silver model out too. I set the Lo Tune to 10 with a blend of around 3-6 on the control, but didn't need much on the Hi Tune and Hi Blend knobs at all, maybe 2-4 on the blend as my basses are fairly clean sounding already.[/size][/font]