Why become a member? ×

Fairport Convention

ead

Spent a very pleasant couple of hours (and more) at the Fairport gig in Burnley last night. Added bonus was when I walked in who should be loitering around the merch stand as they were setting up but Dave Pegg. Grabbed a few minutes of his time and had an interesting chat.

If you've never been to see Fairport Convention I strongly recommend giving them a try. Yes it's folk-rock or what ever you want to call it, but if you enjoy seeing quality musicians who clearly delight in playing for audiences then you'll probably enjoy this. They also actually talk to the audience too; scary stuff for modern bands sadly.

Edit:

I committed a serious sin of omission here by not mentioning the excellent support Fake Thackery. Some brilliant reworking of Jakes songs, the lyrics are so well crafted and brilliantly funny. The delivery and timing spot on too.

Edited by ead

I was introduced to Jerry Donahue by Cropper a couple of years ago. I don't know how long he was in FC (did they have a revolving door policy?) but since he lives nearby I thought it only polite to take a few CDs that he had on him. All great stuff, especially his last release with his daughter; makes me think I'd check out FC given the right opportunity (unfortunately last night wasn't one of them).

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361524435' post='1986855']
I was introduced to Jerry Donahue by Cropper a couple of years ago. I don't know how long he was in FC [b](did they have a revolving door policy?)[/b] but since he lives nearby I thought it only polite to take a few CDs that he had on him. All great stuff, especially his last release with his daughter; makes me think I'd check out FC given the right opportunity (unfortunately last night wasn't one of them).
[/quote]

For the first dozen years, yes. The last twenty have been a lot more stable.

Steve

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1361519039' post='1986783']
Spent a very pleasant couple of hours (and more) at the Fairport gig in Burnley last night. Added bonus was when I walked in who should be loitering around the merch stand as they were setting up but Dave Pegg. Grabbed a few minutes of his time and had an interesting chat.
[/quote]

I've bumped into Dave quite a few times over the years, really nice bloke.

Haha! I was in the support act!
Last couple of nights were the first time I've seen him play bass in quite a while, and it struck me that, while I still knew him as one of my all-time top bassists, I'd forgotten just how blimmin' GOOD he is! Also he's the complete opposite of full of himself with it.

You never said! Massive apologies for not mentioning it first time around, error now corrected. I will go and stone myself later.

Yeah, top bloke Peggy; loved the upright btw. How do you keep a straight face during some of the songs, I'd not heard them in ages and some of the lyrics are laugh out loud stuff.

For readers wondering what on earth I am talking about, the support were Fake Thackery playing some of Jakes songs (and Led Zep too).

Edited by ead