Why become a member? ×

Paul Chambers - So What

BigLicks67

A few years ago I briefly owned a Double Bass (3/4 Stentor job, so I'm not trespassing here :rolleyes: ) and I had a stab at this Miles Davis classic. Normally I'd play the opening riff starting on the 5th fret of the A string, but on the DB this seemed a bit awkward. So am I right in thinking that DB players would start with the open D string play the fifth on the G string and then slide up the neck for the rest (hope this makes sense). In my defence I had no lessons so I found intonation a bit of an issue.
Thanks in advance for your learned replies.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1361534034' post='1987042']
Three minutes in.... It's bad enough when people in the audience talk during your solo, but when your own band are having a chat during your solo? Someone needs to have a word

Does Miles get away with cos he's Miles?
[/quote]

Apparently, after Coltrane left, Miles was fond of walking up behind his new tenor sax players and mumbling " He ain't no Trane" mid solo, so perhaps JC got off lightly.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1361553536' post='1987510']
You aware that this is a (brilliant) joke video? One for the jazz geeks (that's me)
[/quote]

Ha! I only listened to the intro and dropped out when Miles started. Someone has done some not so creative overdubbing :)

Edited by TPJ

Sorry! I didn't listen to it on here and went straight to youtube (it's a Kindle thing). The closing moments of the proper video show PC playing the line and, as stated above, he plays the line on the D and G strings although specifics are difficlut to see. I think it is important to find your own solutions to these playing problems, however, and whatever works, works.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1361553536' post='1987510']
You aware that this is a (brilliant) joke video? One for the jazz geeks (that's me)
[/quote]
Haha, I didn't realise that this was the 'shred' version. The original video has a few shots where you can see PC playing the line

I'm currently learning/playing this piece (ABRSM Grade 5C) and I start off with barring from the E on the D string to the A on the G string then moving up 2nd finger to B hammer 4th finger to C ; move up 1st finger on D, 4th to E; moving down 1st finger on C 4th to D. second time around, the additional A is played with the 4th finger from D on the G string to A on the D string etc. Same pattern again, but up one semi-tone.

I think I got the sheet music for the Paul Chambers' verses from this forum!