Why become a member? ×

EMG P Active Pickups Issue

Dastill

Hello fellow bassists of the world! (Or the UK even..) I'm new here and I come to seek your knowledge!
So, last week I bought a cheap 2nd hand Mexican Precision Bass, on a visual basis she was almost a beaut, Lake Placid Blue (always my favourite of any coloured basses!) lovely straight neck, but she'd done a few miles over the years and needed general changes to make her perfect, this ment rust removal time! Basically meaning I changed every screw, added a mirrored pickguard and polished every inch of it, but the rust on the old fender stock pickups was eating away at me, so I spent a few days doing my research and settled on a set of EMG P's as they where more my sound and the easiest to install (or so I thought...) the solder less design made life easier for me (mainly due to lack of talent with a soldering iron!) when they arrived today I ripped through the box like a kid at Christmas, before spending sometime to sit with the wiring diagram, I put the system together and mounted it to the pickguard, and after then spending about 2 hours with a small air sander and file inside the cavity of my newly beloved bass just to make it so a 9 volt battery would fit under the huge pots of the EMG, it was finally all back together and ready to rock and roll, that is of course until I plugged it into an amp and figured out my jack input will not work when the jack is inserted all the way in! But if it's half out.. It sort of functions, and after taking it apart again, checking everything, re-reading the wiring diagram over and over again, I can still see nothing out of the ordinary, so after explaining the exact ordeal I've had today, I'm begging for one of you to actually be able to tell me what to do to solve it...
Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted a PJ EMG set on Thursday night. It did take longer than expected as there are numerous ways to connect everything together.

The jack that you get with it has three prongs on the back - one from the battery and the other two from the tone pot. Check that you have put them in the right way round. If you hold the jack exactly the way you see on thediagram then you should be able to check straight away if something is wrong