Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Special (original Japanese Duff McKagan)

cetera

Sadly due to a couple of very special high-end purchases and an unhealthy VISA card I’m having to let some of my other basses go….

So what do we have here then?

Well, it’s an original mid-80’s Japanese-made Fender Jazz Bass Special.

If you are not familiar with these, Jazz Bass Specials were made famous by Duff McKagan of Guns N Roses, and later of Velvet Revolver. These basses were made by Fender in Japan in the early years that were known for the best MIJ guitars (approx 1984-1987). The ”special” part of the Jazz Bass Special is that it has a Precision Bass body shape with a Jazz Bass profile neck and a P/J pickup configuration.

The neck on this is the more desirable coated glossy black maple with a rosewood fingerboard and a glossy black matching headstock.

Pickups are passive P&J with volume/volume/TBX (tone) controls with a 3-way pickup selector.
Hardware is black and the bridge features the chalky oxidization typical of these basses.

This bass also features the original F-logo plastic knobs with a nubbly rubber grip around the edge. These are rare in themselves as they often went missing and Fender does not sell them. Volume/tone controls a little stiff - nothing some WD40 wouldn't sort...

This bass sounds superb with a huge range of tones from dubby bass to the clanging high mids Duff made this bass famous for.

Condition is excellent ‘used’ with a few typical player marks/scratches/dings. The colour is a lightly yellowing off-white conducive with its age – but a lot whiter than the full-on yellow that many of these basses seem to have gone over the years!

The recent Mexican reissues aren’t a patch on these Japanese made originals – lower wood/construction quality, different neck shape electronics. A different league, all things considered….

I'm looking for*SOLD* bank transfer or cash. NO trades.
Next-day courier will be £25.or meet in Central London or Guildford area

Edited by cetera

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these and she's a total workhorse. Surprisingly versatile and plenty of oomph. She's one of the basses I have which I really couldn't sell, as I feel she's worth so much more than the "market value". Someone needs to buy this and land a bargain!

xx

My best mate has the exact same bass, he bought it new. They are delightful to play, a really lovely shallow Jazz neck with a gorgeous gloss finish. And the white sparkle body finish is ace. Good luck with the sale mate, it's worth every penny.

EDIT, just realised my mate's it the Power Jazz, the active version. Pretty much the same bass though apart from the guts.

Edited by xilddx

I also have one of these , it's one that I hope never to sell I had it from new and I gigged the sh*t out of it back in the 80's and early 90's.

The colour was a pearl white and they get more pearl with age, kinda yellow I guess.

Mine is missing 2 of the rubber bits off the knobs ! Wasn't as carefull back in the day !

Best of luck with the sale dude
D

• 4 weeks later...