Why become a member? ×

Tunning Up

Kevin Dean

110 is pretty heavy, heavier strings have a higher tension, and the more you tune up the higher the tension too so you're adding a lot of tension. You will probably have to adjust the truss-rod to compensate. But I would check with the manufacturer. It should be OK, but you might void your warranty if you go outside their recommendations so check first.

Capo. Yes, I said capo. If you're alternating between Eb and E tuning, a capo on the first fret is the way to go to keep the bass steady. I am required to play a horn version of "Boot Scootin' Boogie" in the dance band I play with, along with the standards, latin and pop repertoire. The original song is in E. The horn arrangement is in Eb. To keep the relative feel of the 1 - b3-3 5 - 6-5 bass line, I capo a fret and play it on the D string on my 4-string bass, or capo on the 4th fret of my 5-string bass to get the low Eb as an open note. I'll be [email="&@##%&"]&@##%&[/email] if I'm going to try to play that bass line on odd frets!

Edited by iiipopes

Thanks for your comments , I preffer to D tune as I practice along with the origanal songs a lot more than I play these with the band So I prefer to keep my hand posistions the same ,& as I.m the thickest person I know I get confused easily :) Having said that I've just remembered Ive got a morpius drop tune pedal , It dosn;t really track bass very well but I could use it to change the pitch of the song Im playing along with .I'll give that a try .

Jon writes that the JJ Precision was designed as a robust instrument because JJ is a really strong player. It has carbon fibre reinforcement in the neck so tuning up is unlikely to damage the neck, but it will affect the action and it's nailed on you'll need to adjust the truss rod. 110 is pretty heavy even at standard tuning and you're going to be adding a significant amount of extra tension. If you have any doubt you could mail Jon via his website ([url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/contact.html"]http://www.shukergui...uk/contact.html[/url]) and ask for advice - he's very approachable.

Edit - on reading the full thread properly I realise I just said exactly what Brensabre79 said days ago...

Edited by Pete1967