Why become a member? ×

Double Bass setup video

Shrigg

I made this video as my luthier worked on my newly-acquired EH Roth double bass.

[b][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwHqwCvvRB4"]Double Bass Setup Video with Luthier Ken McKay[/url][/b]

I really learned a lot watching him work, so I thought I would post it here for everyone's information. Enjoy!

Best,
Darren

Some good stuff on the video ....but, did I see right just after 6.30s a template where Ken's 'orchestral' setting is a low flat arch and his 'jazz' setting is a higher more curved arch? :blink:

I would have thought that , orchestral players would ask for the higher bridge setting for volume and the greater curve for string separation ( for ease of bowing and to avoid inadvertent double stopping !) ... and that for jazz players a flatter curve and lower string height is desirable ( unless you need to thump out the sound !). ...interesting !!

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1360766649' post='1976127']
Some good stuff on the video ....but, did I see right just after 6.30s a template where Ken's 'orchestral' setting is a low flat arch and his 'jazz' setting is a higher more curved arch? :blink:

I would have thought that , orchestral players would ask for the higher bridge setting for volume and the greater curve for string separation ( for ease of bowing and to avoid inadvertent double stopping !) ... and that for jazz players a flatter curve and lower string height is desirable ( unless you need to thump out the sound !). ...interesting !!
[/quote]

A flatter bridge is typically preferred for double stops. But as Ken says, not everyone agrees with this and it comes down to player preference

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...