Why become a member? ×

New Double Bass player

IeuanRees

Hey my names Ieuan, a double bass player from Newcastle, England. I've been playing double bass for about 5 years now, but only really been taking it seriously for the last year. I'm not fully sure what model bass I use, however it is only a 1/4 size, which is too small for me, better than nothing I guess though. I thought I may as well join the community if I was going to get into bass, and would be thankful for any advice or pointers, cheers

:crigon_04:

[size=4]You'll probably want to go in here, then:[/size]

[size=4][url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/14-eub-and-double-basses/"]http://basschat.co.u...-double-basses/[/url][/size]

[size=4]I don't venture in myself - I always get funny looks. :)[/size] Edited by discreet

Hello Ieuan,

Welcome to BC!
There's loads of searchable info on here, and people are eagerly waiting for your questions.

Newcastle, eh? Would that be Newcastle, New England, or Newcastle, Old England? Upon Tyne or under-Lyme? Not that it matters, mind, and I'm not interested, but it's nice to know whether you actually know where you are. :)

Me, I'd never heard of 1/4 double basses. Apart from the unapplicable math (it has to be 17" scale in my warped, mathy world), it sounds like a kid's first db. Is that correct? You're maybe thinking of investing in something larger, I guess? In case: people here will be honoured to light your path.

Enjoy the site, its info and its banter!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360343942' post='1969083']
[size=4]I always get funny looks. :)[/size]
[/quote]

How would you know? It's a text based site!?!?!?
Oooooooooh! [b]That[/b]'s what these avatars are all about! There's hidden cameras in them! :o

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360349148' post='1969188']
Oooooooooh! [b]That[/b]'s what these avatars are all about! There's hidden cameras in them! :o
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]That's right - and for God's sake, [i]please [/i]put some clothes on.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360349370' post='1969196']
[/size]
[size=4][i]please [/i]put some clothes on.[/size]
[/quote]

HAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHahahahaha! [b]Gotcha![/b] That's my novelty t-shirt! I [b]knew[/b] you'd fall for it!
Hehehehe. Haven't had as much fun for ... er ... hours!

Edited by BassTractor

I nearly brought 1/4 double bass many moons ago- wish I had- From what I remember playing it the scale seemed pretty much like a "leccie bass
and about 18in wide. Do not forget as double basses have been made for hundreds of years the sizes are somewhat random. Most double basses are
3/4 size, a full size classical double bass is a big beast with maybe a 48in scale

These days buying a double bass has never been better value thanks to china,
when you think about it, £400 gets you something pretty good,
and how much work must be involved in making something like that?
you could easily pay that for a bass guitar which is a solid bit of wood with a neck and a pick up

regards