Why become a member? ×

Small High Watt Bass Combos

BigLicks67

I tried out some Ashdown combo amps, yesterday and I was amazed at the wattage rating for some of these amps. For example, a tiny 12 inch combo with a rating of 220 watts. Do these amps really put out this sort of power of is this the marketing people blowing smoke. If anyone has got one of these type of amps do they compete with a loud drummer?
The amps tried were:
Ashdown EB 12 220 watts, EB 15 220 watts, MAG c115 300 & a Mag 210 200.

[quote name='BigLicks67' timestamp='1360323622' post='1968535']
I tried out some Ashdown combo amps, yesterday and I was amazed at the wattage rating for some of these amps. For example, a tiny 12 inch combo with a rating of 220 watts. Do these amps really put out this sort of power of is this the marketing people blowing smoke. If anyone has got one of these type of amps do they compete with a loud drummer?
The amps tried were:
Ashdown EB 12 220 watts, EB 15 220 watts, MAG c115 300 & a Mag 210 200.
[/quote]

Dunno about the EBs, but I'm pretty sure the MAGs max quoted output is into a 4 Ohm load.

So the MAG300, fer example, will only do about 150-200W into the integral 8 Ohm speaker/s. you'd need to add another 8 Ohm extension cab to get the full whack.

I couldn`t say exaclty how much power my Markbass Mini CMD121P actually puts out, but on its own, no ext cab, 3 or 4 on volume in an 8-piece punk-type band is more than enough for gigging in regular pub-sized venues. It`s 500 watts when an ext cab is connected, and 300 watts on its own.

I've gigged my Ampeg B50R a few times. No good for a rock band - but for more civilised / acoustic affairs, it's fine. Even as a four piece with a drummer. It's only 50W with a 12". It's deffo a very full fat 50W though ;) I've also gigged my mates brothers B100R in a much louder band and that went ok - that's 100W into a 15" though - so you'd expect it to have a go at holding it's own.

I've played with some 200/300W combos (Ashdown, Harke, Markbass) and they've all been more than loud enough. All about EQ as far as I'm concerned. There's no need for for more than 100/200W if you're willing to EQ for it. If, like me, you EQ with bass, bass and then some more bass, you sometimes need more power.