Why become a member? ×

Multi fx and amps?

Elvis Valentine

Hey ho gentle folk,
Bit of a newbie question, i was wondering when using a multi effects unit is it best to have it go into your amp eq'd flat (the amp i mean) and then make the noises you want eq'd in the box?

Like specifficly for example the zoom b9u which acts as a sort of poweramp right?

I suppose in a way my thinking would be that if you did it in the box it would be easier to get your sounds right on other amps eq'd flat but thats probably silly.

Cheers .

Not silly - I use a Zoom B3 as a preamp through a power amp and get my entire sound with it. It really depends. Some people use a B3 on their pedal board purely for the FX, but I use it for the compressors and amp sims and largely ignore the FX. Well I have so far anyway, but that could change of course. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1360156426' post='1965710']
Hey ho gentle folk,
Bit of a newbie question, i was wondering when using a multi effects unit is it best to have it go into your amp eq'd flat (the amp i mean) and then make the noises you want eq'd in the box?

Like specifficly for example the zoom b9u which acts as a sort of [b]poweramp[/b] right?

[/quote]

Its a preamp, isn't it?

A common way of using these things for this purpose is to plug them straight into the FX Return of the amp you're using---this bypasses the amp's own preamp section and lets you use your multifx as a preamp.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1360158400' post='1965773']
A common way of using these things for this purpose is to plug them straight into the FX Return of the amp you're using---this bypasses the amp's own preamp section and lets you use your multifx as a preamp.
[/quote]

Yes! Dur, I'd forgotten that. :)

Yes
You can use the Zoom as a Pre-amp (pre = before the amp)
and if you use the amp simulator in there then the sound coming out of the Zoom should be exactly what you want. Leave the amplifier flat to begin with, set up the Zoom how you like. Then when you gig, you can use the Amplifier EQ to tweak the sound a little as every room will make it sound slightly different.
If you use it with other amps too, the sound you get from it (even with EQ flat) will be different, but at least you know the starting point from the Zoom is pretty much what you want.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1360158785' post='1965788']
Leave the amplifier flat to begin with, set up the Zoom how you like. Then when you gig, you can use the Amplifier EQ to tweak the sound a little as every room will make it sound slightly different.
[/quote]

That's how I do it & it works fine, I have the pedal going into the input, not the effects loop.

Great, cheers guys.
So i assume its the same thing for any multi fx pedal even ones that are not pre amps (or are they all by definition pre amps?) like say a zoom b1?
Thanks again.
I recently got a b1 and love some of the sounds through the headphones but obviously they were a little different through my amp.
I kind of think i want to automatically upgrade to the b9u though.

[quote name='Elvis Valentine' timestamp='1360160791' post='1965868']
I kind of think i want to automatically upgrade to the b9u though.
[/quote]

GAK are still apparently doing it for £99.
[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/zoom-b9.1ut/26145"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/zoom-b9.1ut/26145[/url]

Or you could spend another £11 and buy jezzaboy's B3:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198818-zoom-b3-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198818-zoom-b3-for-sale/[/url]

Bargain! :)