Why become a member? ×

ashdown touring 550, NAD!!!!!

Captain Codpiece

hi guys, i posted this on talkbass a few days ago, and as usual on TB it was ignored for 3 days then got the usual "this has been covered in a million topics" BS. (i love TB but its way too amaerican LOL)

well here is list my questions. (not too long honest)

i am after a new amp, i have a behringer 410 combo (the ashdown mag rip with alucones) and while its done me right, i am getting into a new band and more reliability is required and i dont want to have to depend on the behringer alone.

so far i have seen two options that tickle my GAS receptors.
the touring 550 115 combo and the little bastard 550 head.

does anyone with the amp/s have any opinions on how well the stock speaker (combo) handles at volume (i know no body here seems to have a LB550, been checking the thread LOL), and if the VS-212 cab would be an ok match to the combo if it was needed, or would the speaker mis match be bad? (like was suggested on TB).

failing that any suggestions on a cheap but nice cab for the LB 550 ( i dont drive, the boon of city life. soon to be changing though, so buying used is a bit of a struggle).

FWIW i play 4 and 5 strings, both active and passive and use a pod x3 for modulation/syth and delays when needed.

Edited by Captain Codpiece

I can't really answer your questions but do have some other thoughts on the matter.

FIrstly both amps are top class, although different, and IMO some of the best in the Ashdown range. Depsite the online Ashdown demo of the Spyder 550 (which is the same amp in head format), it WILL NOT overdrive for most folks. At some point they have obviously changed the circuitry and most people find it is super clean. The LB will overdrive nicely. Your X3 could of course supply OD (I have used it for this in the past and was quite impressed with it).

The touring combo would be ideal for rehearsals and smaller pub gigs. Anything more and personally I'd want to add an extension cab.
Your biggest enemy will be weight. If it's not an issue for you then you have a huge choice of cabs for the LB, or extension cabs for the combo.

What are your weight needs ? And what budget are you looking at for cabs ?

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1360140828' post='1965308']
I'd assume that the speakers are pretty similar to the ones in the ABM combos, so providing they are. I know a guy who's been gigging an ABM 1x15 combo for years now without any issues or ever wanting more, and that's including some biiig stages (RockFM Events, Supporting N-Dubz, etc...)

Liam
[/quote]

I agree, for big gigs with full FoH support a 1x15 combo should be ample, as all you need is onstage monitoring. It's those "inbetween" gigs in a fairly sizeable venue but with no FoH bass support where it would struggle IME.

cheers guys, i feel better about getting the 115 combo now :)

we will be mostly pub and club gigs with a few bigger stages/open air fests (local ones), i have about a grand to play with (amp and cab) so the nice classics series cabs are out the window LOL i really like the looks of the red grille cloth on the VS and classics cabs and it would match the combo too :) i dont know if it makes any difference but we are a 3 piece and i am a heavy handed player (think if the ox played funk, jungle bunny not included haha)

as for weight, guitarist has a van :) and i when i learn in a few months, will have a wheelchair modded car for a family member. so lugging heavyish cabs and amps is not a big deal.

i was thinking if i must get a bigger cab then an ABM 410 would probably be my choice given thats what i have known for 5 years with my behringer, but again the VS-212 (only rated at 300W) i can get pretty cheap

are you looking at new or secondhand? your budget would net you some serious kit from the classifieds here, and if weight isn't a problem then the range of heads, combos and cabs that you could consider is massive. and you could have the pick of almost any brand you can think of.

the usual answer is to buy with your ears, try as many different combinations as you can, it's a shame that you missed the north east bass bash as you would have had the chance to try about a dozen different rigs (with your own bass) but you might find that local members will be happy to let you have a go with their rig at a practice room or in their own homes, some might even offer to bring the gear to you.

Matt

if i drove classifieds would not be an issue :(

i really like the tone of the dual tube/classics series, just a shame they are now discontinued. when doing a bit of digging i watched gareths reviews on youtube and TBH they swayed me.

if money/delivery was not an issue, my ideal rig would be to run two power amps via the 2 chanel mode of the x3 one clean for the lows and one dirty/wet with 15" on bottom and 2x12" on top (no im not an entwistle fan LOL :P :ph34r: ).

my concern with the bits i have my eye on is the 300W rating on the 2x12, if i am using both the 15" and the cab then thats the full 550 watts, but would it be possibly 200W over its rating or would the power be split between them evenly (i am thinking the 15 may get a little more juice with 2 drivers in the 2x12)

[quote name='Captain Codpiece' timestamp='1360159186' post='1965805']
my concern with the bits i have my eye on is the 300W rating on the 2x12, if i am using both the 15" and the cab then thats the full 550 watts, but would it be possibly 200W over its rating or would the power be split between them evenly (i am thinking the 15 may get a little more juice with 2 drivers in the 2x12)
[/quote]

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here. The wattage rating of a cab is the MAX wattage it can handle. Anything below that is fine (although generally they cannot quite handle the stated wattage). The power split between different speakers/cabs from one amp is purely down to their resistance , the ohms figure. If they have the same ohms resistance then they will get exactly the same power from the amp when connected in parallel. If the combo's speaker is rated at 250W (although I cannot find this figure online) and is 8 ohm, and you also use a 300W 8 ohm 2x12, then both will receive equal split of the power from the amp.
So theoretically if you were putting out 500W from the amp into those two cabs, they would receive 250W each, as they each have the same resistance. If the 15" speaker in the combo really only is rated at 250W then that is sailing quite close to the wind for the rated power of the amp. And that amp will be putting out something like 300W into it's combo's 8 ohm 15" speaker at full power (SS amps put out lower power into higher ohms).

If you were to go the amp/cab route I would definitely recommend buying used for the cab. There is less to go wrong than in an amp and you do get a lot more for your money.
Also if you are looking for a mint used Spyder 550 head, I may be able to help, get in touch.

• 4 weeks later...

well combo is ordered and 2x12 cab is coming tomorrow :)

im gonna check my behringer 410 combo as the speakers in it are actually OK, alucones nice and punchy (i bypass pre most of the time via send/return with POD), i may be to run the 4x10 alucones with the ashdown head bit of the combo in place of the behringer LOL not sure if the speakers in it are 2 lots of 8Ohms (2x10@8Ohms x2 so amp pumps out full wattage @4Ohms)

WOOOOOO NEW AMP DAY!!!!!!

well i have not plugged the bad boy in yet, the cab came the other day and the combo came this morning.
what a pair! i think they look swish together. so without any more waffle, id just like to say thanks again to all who helped, and to hamfist for the offer and help :) picture time

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/darthplagis/family%20pics/G_rig_zps6b1c6e0f.jpg[/IMG]

just had a quick little 10 min mess about :)
OMG! nice rich tone. i found the bass switch to be a little heavy when past 12'oclock but i found a sweet tone,mids at 2 with switch on, bass at 12 treble at 10/11 with gain cranked to 3-4 and use volume to balance :)

nice :) very happy with how things turned out and hopefully get a loud practice/gig in soon :)

[quote name='Captain Codpiece' timestamp='1363118274' post='2008893']
just had a quick little 10 min mess about :)
OMG! nice rich tone. i found the bass switch to be a little heavy when past 12'oclock but i found a sweet tone,mids at 2 with switch on, bass at 12 treble at 10/11 with gain cranked to 3-4 and use volume to balance :)

nice :) very happy with how things turned out and hopefully get a loud practice/gig in soon :)
[/quote]

Excellent.
A question ...... does your amp give any overdrive with the gain knob, or not ? Many folks seem to find that their spyder 550/ touring 550 won't overdrive whatever the strength of signal you put into them. However, others do get the OD.
I'm convinced Ashdown changed the design at some point.

yeah i was a little shocked, no 'overdrive' with gain cranked (TBH i have not had volume up past 2 LOL).
there is an obvious diference in 'gain' but its more like a clean boost. i was hoping for a clean warm tone, and thats what it gives.

my sandberg is not that hot of a signal (its active side is only as loud as the bass is boosted), i have not put the buzzard through it yet :) but hopefully at the weekend or tomorrow when the Mrs and nipper are at baby sign :)

i think it may be the valves, i recon getting some early gain ones will let it breakup easier.

[quote name='Captain Codpiece' timestamp='1363305018' post='2011497']
i think it may be the valves, i recon getting some early gain ones will let it breakup easier.
[/quote]

I doubt it. I have put some pretty massive signals into mine and still no OD from the amp. I've also tried a couple different 12AX7's in the front end too.
Just it's design I think.
Nothing a decent pedal won't sort. Of all the many, many OD's I've tried I find the Ashdown Lomenzo hyperdrive is the best fit with this amp for adding a touch of grit.