Why become a member? ×

Google Nexus 7 and Spotify

discreet

[b]Google Nexus 7 and Spotify[/b]

So the young master discreet got a Nexus 7 for Christmas - lucky boy - and now that the novelty has worn off somewhat I have had a chance to examining the thing...

It struck me that it was of little use initially (being wi-fi enabled only), thus making it a bit of a useless object away from the home - unless you want to play Angry Birds on the bus (which I don't).

Then, EUREKA! Spotify Mobile App. So now I'm streaming lots and lots of lovely music through the Nexus into my spiffy amp and Linn Keilidhs - and it sounds [i]not too bad at all...[/i]

Very smooth and intuitive interface and a robust connection, so far. Of course the sound quality is NOT hi-fi. Spotify run three quality levels of which the best is 'q9' - 320Kb - available with their premium service - and I reckon that's close enough for the majority of music, unless you're a card-carrying audiophile, in which case you're already listening to £30,000-worth of gear anyway and won't be interested.

And even though I listen through full-range studio monitors at my computer, there is a lot of difference psychologically between sitting at a screen and relaxing on the sofa in the lounge when listening, in my view.

Early days yet - but it'll do for me until the vinyl revolution gains momentum! :D Hooray!

I thank you. :)

By the way, if you have a smartphone you can just enable wireless tethering to share it's data connection with the tablet. This is the reason they opted to make it cheaper without its own 3G since most people already own a phone with a data plan these days!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1359960124' post='1962459']
By the way, if you have a smartphone you can just enable wireless tethering to share it's data connection with the tablet. This is the reason they opted to make it cheaper without its own 3G since most people already own a phone with a data plan these days!
[/quote]

Naturally I hadn't thought of that, thanks... the current mrs discreet has an iPhone...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1359960124' post='1962459']
[/quote]

I got the wife one of these for Christmas. Hope do I go about enabling wireless tethering?

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359977202' post='1962672']
How do I go about enabling wireless tethering?
[/quote]

Found this on the internetz - haven't tried it yet though, so no guarantee![list]
[*]Switch off Wi-Fi on both devices.
[*]Switch Personal Hotspot on on your iPhone.
[*]Enable Bluetooth on your iPhone. Make it discoverable if you have the option.
[*]Enable Bluetooth on your Nexus 7. Make it visible and search for devices.
[*]On the Nexus 7, initiate pairing with the iPhone.
[*]On the iPhone, accept the pairing when the message appears.
[*]On the Nexus 7, accept the pairing.
[*]The iPhone will have a Not Connected status, but the Nexus will say it is paired.
[*]On the Nexus 7, touch the iPhone's name in the Paired Devices list and it will then connect.
[*]The iPhone will show Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection at the top of the screen and you should now be able to connect to the Internet from the Nexus 7.
[/list]

Edited by discreet

Thanks for the detailed response...I might just tell her to use it at home though :lol:

No, I'll give this a try during the week and see how I get on.

I have a work blackberry that always has connection anywhere (unlike my personal phone plan which just covers Ireland)....hopefully I can link that to the Nexus 7 too!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359980094' post='1962758']
I have a work blackberry that always has connection anywhere (unlike my personal phone plan which just covers Ireland)....hopefully I can link that to the Nexus 7 too!
[/quote]

I have a BlackBerry too, I'll look into that later on. But now I'm missing [i]Bargain Hunt[/i]... :o

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359980733' post='1962777']
I have a BlackBerry too, I'll look into that later on. But now I'm missing [i]Bargain Hunt[/i]... :o
[/quote]

My last question was more of a rhetorical one....I'll get the finger out and look into that one myself!! Cheers for the help!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1359981259' post='1962792']
My last question was more of a rhetorical one...
[/quote]

Oh good, because I was only pretending to be of assistance, as usual. ;)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1359984623' post='1962870']
Not sure you need to enable bluetooth - the Mrs got a Macbook a few months ago, I just enabled the wifi hotspot on her iPhone then she connected to it from her Mac just like any regular wireless network.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm finding that this is the preferred technique for connecting a Nexus to a BlackBerry as well... apparently. Thanks. :)

Edited by discreet